six - thirty minutes

Start from the beginning

Simone nodded, waiting for her mom's surprise.

"Your dad...he is–he's gonna call, in a few minutes. And you're gonna talk to him for a little bit...on the phone."
She explained.

Simone's face lit up, as she hopped up to hug her mom, almost making her fall over.

"Really?! Really, really?!"
She jumped up and down.

"Yes baby, but listen."
She grabbed her little hands.
"It's only for a little while okay? And then you can talk to him again next week."

Simone nodded.
"Is that okay?"

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes!"
She smiled, trying to calm herself down.

"Okay."
Tori smiled, grabbing Simone's hand, leading her out of the room and into the kitchen.

"Okay. He's gonna call in two minutes baby."
She told Simone as she sat at the stool.

Tori placed the phone in front of her, as she waited patiently.
"Hopefully."

Simone kicked her feet, her brown eyes glued to the phone as she waited for the call.

"Baby, do you wanna eat a little snack before? It might take him a little bit to call–"

Simone gasped as the phone rang out, answering it before her mom could even check to see who it was.

"Hello?"
She said into the phone, waiting for a response.

"Hi Simone."
He spoke.

She smiled widely.
"Hi daddy."

-

At first, Simone was basically starstruck at the idea of speaking to her so called 'father'

But after twenty minutes of the two talking about princesses, and dresses and food, Simone couldn't stop talking.

"And why is princess and the frog your favorite movie?"
Ryan asked into the phone.

Simone hummed.
"Because...I like princess Tiana, and she kissed a frog and in the end they lived happily every after."
She nodded.

"That's a pretty good reason babydoll."

Simone's smile was so big, it looked like it was glued onto her face.

"And in the princess and the frog, Tiana makes the best gumbo. I've never had a gumbo, but I wanna try it."
She smiled.

Ryan laughed through the phone, soaking up every last one of her words.

"Can I ask you a question?"
Simone sighed, picking her nails.

"Sure, gorgeous."

Simone hesitated.
"When...are you coming home?"
She wondered.

Ryan sucked in a big breath, hesitating his answer.

Tori glanced back at the phone on the counter, taking her eyes away from the pot on the stove.

"Soon my love. Soon."