three - à la carte

"Your apartment's slowly coming together

"Your apartment's slowly coming together."
Mikey said, as he opened the last box of plates, placing them in the cabinets.

"Yeah, slowly. I'm still missing a couch, a bed frame, oh and half the shit that I need to make a house a home."
He clarified, ripping the seam of the boxes before folding them.

"Not really."
Mikey shrugged.
"You can still call this a home I guess, shit it's somewhere to sleep."

"Yeah but, I don't know how much longer I can last on that air mattress."
He sighed, stretching his back.

"Anyways, what time is it?"
He asked, looking at Mikey as he placed all the folded boxes in the hallway, to take to the garbage.

"Uh, like thirty minutes to twelve, why?"
He asked, checking his watch.

"I have to go, I'll be back in like an hour, you want anything while I'm gone? It's the least I can do to thank you for helping me get my apartment together."
He told him.

"I'm okay, I should be about done by time you come back"
Mikey thanked him.

"So, she said yes?
Mikey asked, with a smirk on his face.

Ryan sighed.
"Not necessarily. I left her a message last night, cause she won't talk to me, and I'm supposed to meet–well, wait for her at this cafe at twelve."

"Well, I'm hoping that all goes well. I mean that's kinda the main reason you moved back down here right? To see Simone?"
He asked.

Ryan nodded, grabbing his keys off of the hook, sliding his shoes on.

"It would be kinda a waste of your time, and money for you to come all this way only for her not to let you see her."
Mikey's eyebrows dipped.

"Well, I can't think that way, can I? Gotta stay positive, that all I fucking have left honestly."
Ryan told him.

"I'll be back."
He told him, opening the door and slipping out.

"Wait!"
Mikey stopped him making him poke his head back into the door frame.

"I'm happy you're back, seriously. It's been too long, four years is a long time. We should try to catch up some, if you're not busy later."
He told him.

"Mikey, you already know me. We've been best friends since we were five."
Ryan chuckled, shaking his head.

"I know but, still, there's definitely some shit that I've missed out on. You're not the same person you were back then, you know. People change."