Chapter Two - Lucinda

I stand with my back to the wall, straight up but not leaning otherwise mother will come and spank me. Juliette stands beside me, smiling at by-passers. 

Men and women walking tall and proud - for every one of the guests at father's parties are always Aristocrats or high classed people. Children are sent to play around outside in the moonlight's watch while the adults drink, smoke and speak in intelligent tongue. 

Fancy dresses and head-pieces (generally small tiaras or flowers) are worn by the women, while the men exceed in tuxedos and top hats with little black bowties. 

I smile as an elderly lady and her husband walk by me. The lady smiles sweetly back and stops short in front of me.

'Young Miss Lucinda Godwin!' The man exclaims and gently takes my hand gloved and kisses it with his bristly moustache. 

'Hello,' I say trying hard not to wipe my hand on the skirt of my dress. 

'Madame Eleanor and Sir Knightly.' The lady says, curtsying, addressing both Juliette and me.

'And you must be Sir Clarence's daughter, eh?' the man says in a thick Scotsman accent.

'Yes, sir. Pleasure to meet you, sir,' Juliette says politely. He also kisses Juliette's velvet gloved hand before waving dismissively and walking away with his wife's wrinkled hand on his forearm.

'Cheerful ol' man,' Juliette says, making me snort instead of the soft laugh I had been aiming for.

Juliette giggles and then stops as she notices someone in the crowd of dancing ladies and gentlemen.

I turn to find one of my other best friends running in an ocean green dress towards us.

'Juliette! Lucy!' the girl yells.

'Hello, Sarah,' Juliette as they plant tiny kisses on their cheeks like Edward had told me the French do.

'Lucy!' Sarah exclaims as I hug her and welcome her as an old friend.

Sarah, like Juliette and myself are all part of this Vamparian Aristocrat clan. Sarah has short caramel coloured hair that has been let lose with just a single emerald studded clip supporting it. Her brown eyes have a lot of makeup applied to them but Sarah is just as pretty without. 

'Guess who's here?' Sarah gushes.

'Who?' Juliette says. Sarah stands in front of us and shifts excitedly from one foot to the other.

'You don't know?' Sarah cries at me. I shake my head slowly.

'Oh, my lord. Only your future husband's here,' She gawks and turns to the direction of the door.

'He's not my future husband!' I say, looking for him. 'I don't even admire him. James is stuck up and snobbish and I do not wish to marry him.' I say firmly.

Okay, I admit. James is quite good looking. Actually, he's very good looking. Strong jaw, broad shoulders, tall, short cropped hair and very chivalrous but its almost annoying. Everybody and by everybody, I mean, everybody who knows about us has the idea of how Sir James Smith is going to marry Lady Lucinda Godwin and everybody will live happily ever after but no. I do not want to marry James. 

I wish no more than to be friends with him. I'll let Juliette or Sarah or another girl have him but I don't want James. Never have, never will.

There is a moment of silence broken by Juliette's high pitched squeal.

'What?' I say, slightly alarmed.

'There he is! He's making his way over to us!' Juliette giggles and starts bouncing on the balls of her small feet.

And sure enough, in no time at all, James is standing in front of me.

'Hello, James!' Juliette cries but then covers her mouth. Her ears go red and Sarah bursts into a fit of giggles.

'Ladies. Lucinda,' He says addressing me with a smile. 

'Hello, James,' I say emotionlessly. 

'How are you?' He says, picking up my hand and kissing it. I hear Juliette simper and Sarah sighs.

'Indifferent.' I say flatly. He kisses my hand a second time and I resist the strong urge to slap him.

He laughs lowly. 

'Would you care to dance?' James asks me and Juliette and Sarah look at me with wicked grins slapped across their mouths.

I grit my teeth. 'Of course.' 

James smiles and pulls my hand through his arm and leads me to the center of the room. I shoot a glance back at Sarah and Juliette who nod eagerly. Sarah puckers up her lips and mimics kissing the air. I through a glare at her and wiggle uncomfortably as James puts his hand on my waist.

He leads me in a slow dance which I know is more for lovers and we are 100% completely and utterly NOT lovers.

After a few moments, James catches my eye.

'You seem slightly tense, my love?' He asks.

'No, no, not at all.' I lie. He nods and takes the lie.

'Gullible,' I murmur under my breath.

'What's that, mon cheri?' James whispers. He slides his hand through the space between the buttons on my dress and rubs my naked back. I try to inch away but he pulls me closer.

'Stop!' I cry as he starts kissing my neck.

He pulls back, face red with embarassment. 

'I'm sorry, Lucinda.' He whispers. I force the corners of my mouth to curl up into a smile. 

'That's alright,' I say, trying to put on my best voice but inside I felt tourched.

James spins me around and I sigh in annoyance. I notice people have stopped dancing and watching us dance.

Someone catches my eyes.

My eyes widen. He is dashing. Really handsome. Shaggy platinum blond hair that sticks up all angles. He has a strange expression plastered on his handsome, glowing face. When he sees me, his crystal, blue eyes, they fall to the floor. I stare at him over James shoulder. 

James and I dance only for a few more minutes before breaking apart. He takes my hand and kisses it passionately a few times before letting me turn and walk back to Juliette and Sarah.