Cripsy Peach Rice Crust

(Episode 1)

(Episode 1)

AN: For this recipe, I initially found the recipe to create the rice crust, but it didn't include the soup or sauce that goes over it. So, I did some more research and found a soup that is similar to what is shown in the show. 

I advise that if you want to make this dish from the second recipe, you should skip creating the rice that would be placed in the soup. I added the link to the original website if you want to see how to do the sizzling rice for the second recipe. However, I will not be added it here.

Original website: https://www.thespruceeats.com/chinese-crispy-or-sizzling-rice-recipes-4057956

Ingredients

     - 1 cup of long or medium grain rice

     - 1 1/2 cups of water

Directions

1) Rinse 1 cup of long- or medium-grain rice in a pot. Add 1 1/2 cups water (1 1/4 if using medium-grain rice) to the rice and bring to a boil.

2) Cover and simmer at low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from burner and allow to cool.

3) While rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 300 F.

4) Place the rice on a baking sheet, making sure that it is about (but no more than) 1/4-inch thick.

5) Bake the rice for 50 to 55 minutes until it's dry.

6) Cool and cut into 2-inch squares. Store in a container until needed but don't freeze.

7) The rice is now ready to be deep-fried. The trick to using deep-fried crispy rice is to make sure that both it and the sauce or soup it is being added to are very hot. That way you will hear the crackling sounds. Unfortunately, this makes for a lot of last-minute work–you can't deep fry the rice crusts and then set them aside to add during the final stage of cooking. Instead, the rice should be deep-fried before the dish is served, with the soup or sauce being kept warm during this time. a few at a time, constantly turning until they brown and puff up (this will take only seconds). Drain on paper towels. Bring to the table, quickly pour the hot liquid over it, and listen to the rice snapping and popping.

Time: 95 minutes (5 min. prep + 90 min. cook)

Serving(s): 8 to 10 servings

Safety Food Tip: If not handled properly, cooked rice has the potential to grow a bacteria called Bacillus cereus. To prevent this, ensure the rice is completely dried, then rapidly cooled, cut into squares, placed into a container, and refrigerated for no more than seven days before use.

Original Website: https://thewoksoflife.com/sizzling-rice-soup/

Ingredients

     - 0.7 (20 grams or 6 small dried mushrooms) ounces of small dried shiitake mushrooms

     - 2 ounces of chicken breast, thinly sliced

     - 2 teaspoons of water

     - 1 1/2 teaspoons of oyster sauce

     - 1 teaspoon of cornstarch

     - 2 ounces of fresh sea scallops, cut into quarters

     - 4 ounces (about eight 21/25 sized shrimp) of peeled, deveined shrimp

     - 2 teaspoons of vegetable or canola oil

     - 1 clove of garlic, minced

     - 1/4 cup of carrots, thinly sliced

     - 1/2 cup of whole canned straw mushrooms or thinly sliced baby Bella mushrooms

     - 2 cups of baby bok choy, cut into 1-inch pieces with leafy parts and stems separated

     - 1 cup of napa cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces

     - 8 cups of pork and chicken stock

     - 2 ounces of Virginia ham, sliced into thin strips

     - 1/2 cup of snow peas, trimmed and cut in half

     - 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or to taste

     - 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper

     - 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil

Directions

1) Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms overnight in 1 cup of room temperature water, or for 2 hours in boiling water. Once rehydrated, squeeze the water from the mushrooms, trim off any tough stems, and thinly slice. Set aside the mushrooms, and reserve the mushroom soaking water.

2) Velvet the chicken by mixing it with 2 teaspoons of water, 1½ teaspoon of oyster sauce, and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Set aside.

3) Boil 6 cups of water in your wok. Add the velveted chicken. Using your wok spatula, gently swirl the chicken in the water for 45 seconds, or until just cooked and opaque. Remove using a spider strainer or slotted spoon.

4) Then add the scallops and shrimp. Again, cook them for 45 seconds, or just until opaque. Take care not to overcook them. Remove from the wok, set aside, discard the water and wash the wok.

5) Set your wok over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, garlic, carrots, and shiitake mushrooms. If using fresh baby Bella mushrooms instead of canned straw mushrooms (which are pre-cooked), add them to the wok now. Stir fry for 1 minute, or until the carrots are slightly softened.

6) Add the bok choy stems and the napa cabbage. Stir fry for another minute. Next, add the pork and chicken stock and the reserved mushroom soaking water, taking care to leave behind any sediment from the mushroom soaking water. Bring the soup to a simmer. Add the ham and the pre-cooked straw mushrooms. Let the soup come back up to a simmer.

7) Once the soup simmers, cook for 1 minute, and add the cooked chicken, shrimp, and scallops. Stir and cook for 1 more minute. Add the snow peas and leafy portions of the baby bok choy.

8) Bring the soup back up to a simmer. Add salt, ground white pepper, and sesame oil, stirring to dissolve. Taste and add additional seasonings as needed.

9) Transfer the soup to a large serving bowl and move it to the table.

Time: 1 hour 30 minutes (30 minutes cook + 1-hour prep)

Serving(s): 6 servings