Meatballs

"The Chinese language is broad and profound. The word "cuan" is enough to describe this in a subtle and skillful way. If you boil it for too long, the meat will become tough and it won't be bouncy." (Episode 2)

Original website: https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/asian-meatballs/

Ingredients

For meatballs

     - 1 lb. of lean ground beef

     - 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro

     - 1 tsp. of minced fresh garlic

     - 1 tsp. of minced fresh ginger root

     - 1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes

     - 1 tbsp. of light soy sauce (or a gluten-free alternative)

     - 1 tsp. of sesame oil

For sauce

     - 1/4 cup of light soy sauce (or a gluten-free alternative)

     - 1 tsp. of cornstarch

     - 1 tbsp. of honey

     - 1 tsp. of hot sauce

     - 1 tsp. of minced fresh garlic

     - 1 tsp. of minced fresh ginger root

     - 1 tsp. of sesame oil

Directions

1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

2) Place the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl and use your hands to combine them. Shape into 24 meatballs, each weighing about 20 grams.

3) Arrange the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet. Bake them for 10 minutes.

4) Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the soy sauce and cornstarch. Gradually whisk in the remaining ingredients, except for the sesame oil, until well-combined.

5) Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens into a rich glaze. This should take 3-5 minutes. Turn the heat off as soon as the sauce thickens but leave it on the cooling burner. Stir in the sesame oil.

6) Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the baked meatballs into the saucepan. Gently turn them in the sauce until well-coated. Serve immediately.

Time: 40 mins. (20 mins, prep + 20 mins. cook)

Serving(s): 4 servings

Tip(s): To ensure the meatballs are fluffy and tender, work the meat lightly - both when you mix the ingredients together and when you form the meatballs.