Then it switched.

His eyes grew dark. He grabbed me harshly again. Threw me off his lap. It was like he had rebooted. Returned back to the monster. Something that was forced. Something created.

"Fucking listen to me, and get the fuck out." He snapped, grabbing my neck and dragging me to the bedroom door.

Coughing, gasping, panting, begging. I can't breathe.

"I will see you next Monday, filthy blood-traitor." Draco seethed at me, holding me against his door roughly with his hand grasping my neck. "And I swear to god— if you pull anything stupid on New Year's Eve, you'll live to regret it."  He said as he held on tightly.

A little too tight.

"Drake, obviously something is wrong with you." I coughed, digging my nails in to his wrist and forearm. Praying he'd release me from his grasp.

"That's the thing, sweetheart." He smirked, tracing the lid of the flask down my cheek. "This is only the beginning. Nothing in my life has ever been so right."

"4!"

Anger

"I don't think I've ever hated anyone more." I told my mother, cutting into my pancakes and drenching them in syrup.

I had to swear her to secrecy. Beg her not to tell my father or the Malfoy's the truth. Tell them how horrible it's been. But I couldn't take it anymore.

But that's a story for another time.

"You don't hate him, Emmy. You love him very much. That's why all of this is so hard." My mother sighed, rubbing my upper arm soothingly while she leaned on the kitchen counter as I ate.

"I wish I hated him. He's not my Draco. That's for sure." I huffed, picking up my orange juice and taking a long gulp from it.

"You know, baby, I love him so much," my mother stated, causing me to groan and throw my head back, "Well, I'm not going to lie to you, Emelia." She sighed.

"His parents are always going to love you. I am always going to love him. And I know it doesn't seem like it right now, but Draco will get through this phase and you'll be back to normal." She reassured me, patting me on the shoulder before she stepped behind my chair.

"Boys are... idiots. Stupid. Complicated." She chuckled. "They don't have much common sense, and they believe pretty much anything they are told because they're hormonal sacks of crap." She laughed, making me giggle too as she rubbed my shoulders.

"Drake has it worse than you do. Lucius is really hard on him. Ever since you two were little," she started.

"I know, but-"

"But you don't know, Em. Draco has all this pressure on him. He's supposed to take over his father's work one day. Draco is supposed to be married away by like— 18 or 19 to another pure blood. He,"

"What?" I whispered in reference to the last part.

"Well, we haven't gone into much detail in that subject because you have about another year or so, but you remember the marriages deal. You'll have to do it, too. We all have. When a boy turns 16, he's able to pick any girl after that point to continue the bloodline with. You make the vow. And you marry one day." She rambled on quickly.

"The vow?" I asked, confusion dripping from my words.

"Yes, the unbreakable vow. You swear your lives to one another. If you don't go through with the marriage, you—" my mother cut herself off. "But you will have a lovely boyfriend by the time you are selected. And you will love him. And you two will be sure to get married." She sighed, leaning around and kissing my cheek lightly. I felt better instantly, realizing that she was right.