CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

I couldn't contain the responding smile from breaking across my face.

⚜⚜⚜

"Welcome!" The king greeted the hundreds of congregated people from his throne. "It is so nice to see all of you. Thank you for coming." He grinned. "These past couple of months. I have been bothered by the fact that I, as a king, have not shown true gratitude towards our loyal soldiers. That I had not given them the honor and the praise they deserve. That I had insulted them by throwing a simple feast without even considering to invite the very people I claimed to honor that day. This kept me up at night." The king sighed and continued. "So, this royal ball was arranged to properly welcome the generals and knights that fought for our kingdom these last five years. May we all celebrate side by side the victory these brave men have given to our kingdom." 

Thunderous clapping erupted in the throne room. When it ceased, the royal chamberlain addressed the crowd. "All nobles will be taken to their respective accommodations within the palace." Immediately servants herded the nobles outside the room.

"Iskander," Uriel called as he approached me with outstretched arms. "I'm so glad to see you. The generals and I are going to have drinks in the drawing room. You're coming, right?" Noticing the glance I sent to Leyla at his question, he asked with a smile, "Who's this?"

"Um, this is Duchess Lehylany Nubilus—my wife."

"Y-You're wife? You didn't tell me you got married." His fist playfully punched my shoulder a little too hard.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Your Majesty." Leyla curtsied in a very much dignified manner.

He nodded and turned back to me. "Do I know her? She looks familiar."

"Um, remember five years ago? Duchess Adelysia's case?"

His eyebrows furrowed, then a spark of recognition flashed in his eyes, and they shot up to his hairline. "This is the girl? The one that you took care of?"

"Y-Yes."

He burst out in laughter. "Who would have guessed? You. A married man. You should have told me."

"Well..." A half-hearted laugh escaped my lips.

"So, are you coming? Or should I say..." He turned to face Leyla and asked, "Madam, would you allow your husband to accompany his brothers in arms and me for an evening drink?"

She bowed her head. "If he wishes, he may go. With all the respect in the world. He is his own man, Your Majesty."

He laughed again and clapped me on the shoulder. "Well, there you have it. Let's go."

He nudged me towards the door, but I dug my heels in. "Wait, Uriel. Give me a second."

His eyes glided from Leyla to me. "Alright, got it. I'll wait by the door."

"Are you going to be okay? You're going to be alone for a while in a place you don't know." I asked in a low voice after Uriel went to stand outside.

A soft smile appeared on her face. "Don't worry. I'll be fine. Go have fun."

My eyes searched her face for any kind of displeasure. "Are you sure?"

Her smile widened. "Yes, I am. Now go."

"Ok." I waved over one of the servants. "Please escort my wife to her accommodations."

"Yes, Your Grace." The woman bowed her head and motioned Leyla to follow her.

⚜⚜⚜

Bottles of wine, champagne, and rum crowded the small table between the two large couches in the drawing room. The laughter of the men was muffled to my ears while I swirled the rum in my glass, waiting for the perfect opportunity to excuse myself for the night. I wonder what she's doing right now.