Chapter 1

DAVIA

Strolling around the garden wearing a thick coat as winter started, a maid in tow just behind me, we arrived at what seemed to be a frozen lake seeing two children dangerously playing on the ice.

"Who are they?" I asked, the maid followed my line of sight.

"The gardener's twins, Mistress." Ava, the maid, answered, "I believe they're both eight years old. The boy's name is Noah and the girl is Donna." She added. 

My eyebrows furrowed, a voice rang through my mind as I stared at the twins.

'I had a sister. Donna.'

Hissing in pain as I grasp my head, the voice continues to echo in my mind.

'She, uh... She died when we were kids.'

'How?'

'We were... playing on a frozen lake, and...'

A scream broke my thoughts, the boy screaming his sister's name with tears streaming down his cheeks as he tried to catch the hands of his panicking sister. 

A curse escaped my lips as I quickly approached him.

"My sister fell through the ice. Save her, please." The little boy cried. 

"Calm down and go a safe distance away from the lake. I'll save her." I answered, the boy nodded his head and obediently obeyed what I said.

Turning towards Ava, "Grab a branch." I ordered and carefully slid near where the girl was. 

As Ava handed me a sturdy branch, quickly placing it on the ice for the girl to grab on. 

"Help me pull her up." I said, Ava quickly nodded and laid on her stomach beside me. 

"Donna, grab the branch." I said to the girl, "Hold on tight." I added as we slowly pulled the stick towards us. 

"That's it. Very good. You're going to be okay." I muttered as we continued to pull the branch, quickly grabbing her hand and letting the crying girl settle on my lap.

The girl tightly hugged my neck as she loudly wails, whispering comfort words to her as I carry her in my arms towards the shore where her father, Elijah, waits with his eyes glistened with tears. 

"Donna! Oh, thank you so much Mistress for saving my daughter." He said, gently grabbing the trembling girl from me and engulfing her in a hug. 

"Don't let them play near the frozen lake again. We don't know what might happen to them." I said, Elijah nodded his head and carried his crying son. 

Approaching them, giving the girl a smile, my hand softly caressed her face.

"It's okay. Don't cry. You're safe now." I said, "Change their clothes immediately and go to the kitchen. Give them some hot cocoa." I added, Elijah nodded his head and left after saying his thanks once more. 

"Mistress, we should change your clothes too." Ava said.

Nodding my head, my eyes went back to the frozen lake. 

'She fell through the ice. I couldn't save her.'

Shutting my eyes and inhaling a breath, the voice came back. My heart immediately ached hearing how painful the voice was. 

'So, that's why you wanted to become a doctor.'

'Yeah, but now I can't because of what happened.'

Tightly clenching my first as my head started to hurt the more the voice echoes in my mind. 

"Mistress!"