Chapter 14

Aisha had my suitcase packed the minute the words ‘I’m going to Goa for the weekend with Ritwik’ left my mouth.

Somehow, in that short span of time, my multi-tasking best friend had also managed to get the news to our other friends , and issue a very convincing warning that I not even dare to go near the suitcase during the week. I was under no circumstances allowed to shuffle through the contents to see what exactly was stored in the navy coloured bag.

I thought of my friend now, as I watched my working day tick closer to an end from the clock in Ritwik’s – our – office. I sighed as I stared at the bag that contained my essentials for the coming weekend trip, and frowned as images of what Aisha may have packed appeared in my mind. What if she packed sweatshirts and sweatpants instead of normal clothing? Or what if she forgot to pack pajamas or underwear?

“Shortcake.” Ritwik’s deep voice sounded, pulling me out of my thoughts.

“Huh?” I asked, turning around toward the direction of his desk – only to find him standing next to me, looking down at me with a smirk. “It’s time to go,” he stated. I saw a flash of excitement pass through his eyes.

“Right,” I mumbled, not as excited as he – or Aisha – were about this trip. Aisha had made a Rs1000 bet with Maya about the fact that I wouldn’t sleep with Ritwik this weekend. Instead, she predicted that we would kiss. Maya agreed to this, but still believed that the kiss would lead to Ritwik taking me into bed. I shook my head at both of their predictions and denied them both.

Not that the thought of kissing Ritwik hasn’t been on my mind lately – but they didn’t need to know that.

“What time is the flight?” I asked as I got out of my seat and slung my bag over my shoulder. Ritwik picked up my suitcase and began to drag it behind him, making me frown.

“I can do that,” I told him, trying to pry his firm grip away from the handle.

“It’s in an hour,” he told me, ignoring my failed attempt at trying to drag my own suitcase. “We need to get there as soon as we can. Do you have everything with you?” He cast a sideways glance in my direction as he pressed the button for the elevator. I looked over at him and nodded before glancing around uneasily. People were staring  both with curiosity and menace.
"Ignore them,” Ritwik murmured into my ear, suddenly closer to me than he was before. I looked up and met his eyes before swallowing visibly and nodding, stepping into the elevator after him.

Once we reached the car downstairs. I looked over to find him waggling his eyebrows at me, making me laugh.

“I still can’t believe you’re making me do this,” I muttered, glaring at him playfully.

He chuckled and wrapped an arm around my waist before handing my suitcase over to the driver to put in the back of the car. “Think of it as a business trip where you get to live with me for the weekend and I get to see you in a sexy bikini. You did pack a bikini, right?” Ritwik asked, looking at me with alarm.

I threw another glare in his direction before shrugging. “I don’t know,” I said truthfully.

Ritwik gave me a funny look. “What do you mean you don’t know?” he asked, frowning in confusion.

The car began to move as I gave him an uneasy smile. “I didn’t pack my bag. My… friend did. So I’m warning you in advance that if you see me in anything weird, it’s not my doing!” I began to blush at the mental image of myself, walking around in a tracksuit in melting temperatures.

“Well I hope your friend packed some sexy lingerie,” he said, avoiding my swat to his head with a quick dodge and a chuckle. I rolled my eyes but could not help but smile, secretly excited to go to Goa for the first time.