Chapter 5 - Steves' POV

I hang up the phone and place it back on the reciever. I think that went well. I turn around to face Robin, who was standing behind me as I made the call. She's hiding her face behind her hands and laughing, 

"What's so funny you douchebag." Why is she laughing at me??

She takes a deep breath, trying to stop the laughs bubbling up, "Dude." She pauses, covering her mouth before responding, "that was one of the most awkward interactions I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing AND being a part of." 

"What??? What do you mean? I thought that went well. I asked him to show up, and he agreed. Was that not the plan?" I run my hand through my hair, slightly annoyed that I'm not seeing what the big deal was. 

"Steve..." she shakes her head. "You know what? You're right. We have taken our first step in the direction of you two becoming friends. Just for future reference, you could try being a bit nicer? You know, less demanding?"

"Rob, he wouln't have said yes if I wasn't demanding. Trust me. And...yeah. You're right. I'll try to be nicer." I roll my eyes. It's not like Eddie couldn't handle a little teasing.

It feels like time is moving impossibly slow. I keep checking the clock. 4:35 pm. I sigh, placing my elbows on the counter and resting my head on my hands. Each minute feels like a decade. There were no customers to keep me busy, and Robin was busy on the phone with Vickie, talking about God knows what, but they have been talking for about an hour now. 

I think back to my interaction with Eddie. The way he winked and smiled at me, even after I was being such a dick. I feel a slight ache in my chest, but shrug it off quickly. Hopefully I can make up for my assholery later today when we go bowling. 

Around 5 Robin finally gets off the phone. At this point I have abandoned the front of the store in favor of hanging out in the staff breakroom. It's not much more interesting than the front, but it created a semi-functional sound barrier against Robin and Vickies conversation. Plus, there were snacks and a couch. 

I'm taking a sip out of my waterbottle when Robin walks in, eyes sparkling and face plastered with the biggest smile, "Steve," she says, plopping herself down on the couch next to me.

"Robin." I reply with my eyebrows raised, urging her to finish her thought.

"I think I'm ready to say the L word. You know, to Vickie?" She looks at me with wide expectant eyes.

"I don't know Robin, isn't it a bit early? I mean, you guys have been dating for what, a week now?" I question her lightly. She did ask me to be her voice of reason when it comes to relationship advice, so I don't think I'm overstepping.

Robin nods a bit, holding her finger up in front of me. "Okay, I know, but we have both liked each other for months. Actual whole months. So is it really too soon?" 

I run my hand through my hair, taking a second to figure out what to say. "Yeah Rob, honestly, that makes sense to me. In that case, I don't see why you wouldn't. It sounds like she feels the same too."

Robin jumps up off of the couch excitedly, bouncing up and down. "OKAY okay so I'll tell her then!! Oh my god, when should I do it?? How am I going to look in her eyes and tell her...oh my god." Her vibe directly shifted from being psyched, to being borderline terrified. 

"Okay, first of all, you need to calm the hell down. Take some deep breaths or some shit. You literally asked her out Robin, you'll sure as hell be able to tell her you love her. It's okay. How about we head up front again so we can figure out a game plan? Tonight's the perfect time." 

After a second of contemplation, Robin agrees. I may not have an active love life myself, but I must admit, I'm one hell of a wingman.

(A/N- hey, sorry for the late update. I've been busy working unfortunately, but I hope ya'll like what I have so far! I'd love some feedback! I'm hoping to have another chapter out tomorrow around the same time!)