Chapter Ten

Fawnpaws Pov
"Fawnpaw this cat is crazy." "Look the gatherings starting soon we have to hear what she has to say. Plus she's my aunt! Show some respect!" I laughed.
"You know I am hearingz all you zay about me, yes?" "Sorry uh ma'am." Rainpaw coughed looking away. I knew how much he disapproved of Jinx but now was not the time to be picky.

"So thiz cat tried to bite you?" Jinx was bending over another book. "Yeah." I tried to see what she was looking at so intently but she turned away from us.
"Fawnpaw lets get out of here." Rainpaw muttered. "Look I don't quite know what happened last night but I almost died. I need to know why." I whispered back.

"Niece I uh are you zure you muzt know zis?" "Yes I'm sure. So why did that cat want to uh... get rid of me?" I asked. "Well I can only believe zat he's... a..." "A what?! I hissed irritably.
"Za cat that attacked you. I think he muzt be a... a vampire.

"A WHAT?" Rainpaw yowled. "Vampires zey need blood. He snapped at your neck, no?" Jinx gazed at me waiting for an answer. "Yes he... did..."

"What could've happened if she'd been bitten?" Rainpaw pressed. "Mozt likely ze would've... died." I stared eyes wide uncomprehending. "I look for ze way to rid clans of zis problem. But I cannot find out howz the vampirez be killed."

"Jinx we have to go the gatherings starting soon." I told my aunt kindly. "Yes see ya some other time." Rainpaw added then he leaped out of the hollow. "He needz to work on mannerz, yes?" I told Jinx goodbye then went to go find Rainpaw.

"I don't understand why you were so rude back there." I commented. "Well maybe it might have something to do with you not telling me about these visits! You know you can trust me right!" He spat.
I jumped back in surprise. "Of course I trust you- I mewed, angry. "Maybe you should just save your excuses! Keep your stories as short as your tail!" He roared.

He knew how sensitive I was about my tail! I couldn't believe he... How could he even... My eyes started to burn and I turned away racing towards camp. I gazed up at the sky in a teary blur and realized I needed to hurry!

When I arrived every cat was about to leave. When I caught up Snowclan set off on its way to the gathering. When we got there I sat down with the other medicine cats avoiding Stoneflame. "Fawnpaw!" I blinked. "What?" I snapped. I was not in the mood.

"Have you seen Rainpaw?" I looked up, it was Oakfur Rainpaws mentor. "No why?" "No cat has seen him. The gatherings about to start." Shaking his head Oakfur walked away.

Not at the gathering?! I stood up- "Fawnpaw! Swiftstars about to speak!" Interrupting my thoughts Glacierpaw came up beside me. "I know just a second ok?" I started running only to be stopped again.

"Fawnpaw where are you going?" I froze not turning around I responded "Stoneflame I need to go-" "Fawnpaw I know about the vampire problem. You need to go I know." I nodded quickly.

"Jinx told me to tell you that you need a special stone that was lost almost a thousand years ago. It only works in a vampire slayers paws at night." "Did she tell you how to use it?!" I gasped.
"The cat has to accomplish the vampires greatest desire in life." He told me gruffly. "Thanks Stoneflame. And I just want you to know I didn't tell anyone about the she cat... Whoever she is I... guess I understand how much she means to you."

I sniffed the ground furiously. I couldn't pick up Rainpaws scent anywhere! I was mad at him of course but he was still my friend. Then I remembered where we had fought earlier. Dashing to the clump of bracken we had stood behind I nosed my way through.

I stiffened. The light gray fur I knew so well was drenched in blood. Shaking violently I came forward. The source of the blood was two wounds on the side of his neck.