Chapter Two

Rainpaws Pov
The clan leaders were about to start speaking when I realized Wolfpaw had a sly grin on his face.
"What?" I asked irritably wondering what he was up to. "Oh I just noticed something that's all." He said mischief gleaming in his blue eyes.
I turned to see where he was looking and saw a white Tom talking to Fawnpaw. He looked maybe a moon or two older then her and she was obviously interested in whatever he had to say.
"So?" I managed to get out. She started laughing and twitching my ears in agitation I turned away. Why do you even care? I thought even though I already knew the answer.

"Bro it's ok if you have a little crush on her you know." I glared at him Wolfpaw and I weren't actually related but he knew it annoyed me when he used what I like to think of as slang terms.
I was about to reply when Snakestar stepped forward to speak he said something about his clan thriving and then I sort of zoned out and found myself staring at Fawnpaw and her little friend. It took me a while and Swiftstars entire speech until I remembered that Fawnpaw had mentioned a while ago some other medicine cat apprentice she had met at the last gathering. Oh. This must be him.
We've been friends since we were kits but lately I don't know...
My thoughts were interrupted by Hailstar as he said something truly disturbing. "Lately my warriors have noticed prey being caught on our territory but not by cats. The prey is dead but... There is no evidence of how. I just thought I should warn you just in case."

Then he leaped off the River tree along with the other leaders and I jumped to my paws. Scanning the throng of cats I was able to pick out Fawnpaws light brown pelt. It looked like she was saying goodbye to the other medicine cats.
"Distracted?" I probably sprung about a foot in the air as I heard the gruff voice behind me. Turning I looked up into the blue eyes of Fawnpaws mentor.

"W-what?" I stammered trying to figure out what I did wrong. "The white toms Glacierpaw. If you think he has feelings for Fawnpaw... Your not wrong." He informed me then turned away into the crowd.
I dashed across the ice making my way past cats until I caught up with Fawnpaw. "Hi." I greeted her. "Oh hey Rainpaw." She replied looking distracted.
We followed the rest of the clan as they headed back to camp. Suddenly Fawnpaw tripped on something and went sprawling forward. Ryle who should've looked more excited after his first gathering had been tagging along at the back like us. When he reached Fawnpaw he put his paw down hard on her small tail.

"Watch where you step kitty." He growled padding on. I hissed at him as he went by but he didn't seem to care. "You ok?" I questioned nudging her to her paws.
"Yeah I'm alright." But the look in her eyes betrayed how upset she really was. "What did you stumble on anyway?" I murmured trying to spot what it was that had sent her tumbling so easily.

"It was that rock." She frowned pointing with her muzzle. It was sort of a weird shape it looked kind of like a jagged tooth.
My ears shot straight up as I saw that the rest of the clan had almost disappeared over the ridge ahead. Fawnpaw noticed to and we raced to catch up.

Later curled in my nest in the apprentices den I couldn't get the image of Ryles sneering face and the strange looking stone out of my head.