Chapter Six

Fawnpaws Pov
Falconclaw was moaning in his sleep I'd done all I could and apologized to Swiftstar but... I needed my mentors opinion before I layed another paw on the dying Tom.

"Is he going to be ok." I shrugged at my sisters question. I was wide awake because I had slept for most of the day. "Swiftstars out there putting Stoneflame in his place!" I rolled my eyes. Swiftstar could yell and yell but I'm pretty sure Stoneflame wasn't going to budge.

"So." "Um so what?" I tipped my head waiting for a reply. "You and Rainpaw?" "Er what about me and Rainpaw?" I pressed not catching on. "You mean you haven't noticed?!" "Noticed what?" I sighed with boredom. "Oh nothing." She responded with a sly grin. "What? Oh come on what is it?" "I think you'll figure it out before long." My sister teased heading back outside.

She wasn't making any sense! Before I knew it I found myself in Swiftstars den. Stoneflame didn't get a punishment. Swiftstar knew the guilt would be enough. My mother and father were both ignoring him too.

"Anyhow you did very well you certainly deserve your full medicine cat name but why don't we give it a few more moons." She laughed.
"Yeah I still need to learn a lot more!" I giggled. I turned to leave. "Oh and.. Fawnpaw?"
"Yes?" I glanced over my shoulder. "If you find out what he's been up to lately you'll tell me, right?" The leader asked. "Yes of course." "Promise?" She insisted. "I-I promise."

I just hoped Stoneflame knew what he was getting himself into. I walked out into the morning light and noted immediately that everybody was avoiding him too. Sighing I went over to the apprentices den to search out my friends for advice.

"Ok Wolfpaws kinda cute I'll admit but I'm interested in Rainpaw." Sparrowpaw was telling Honeypaw and I. "So how about you Fawnpaw?" The brown she cat blinked at me waiting. "I don't really like any toms." I told her. "Oh?" She didn't seem to be buying it. I didn't really care.

"Hey Fawnpaw. Rainpaw greeted me coming up behind us. Could I er talk to you alone?" He questioned eyeing the other she cats warily. "Yeah sure. Be right there." I watched him pad over to the moss patch near the nursery.

"Oooh." Sparrowpaw and Honeypaw crowed in sync. I was confused. Yet again. Racing to catch up with him I looked around and saw Swiftstar on top of high glacier looking graceful as always.

"Fawnpaw Ryles out of camp." He breathed his gaze cold. "Ok... what does that mean?" I really didn't want to talk about him. "Yesterday he wasn't here either." I blinked at him. Scrolling through my memory I realized Rainpaw was right. "Hmm." "Well I was thinking tomorrow we could follow him to see where he go's!

I thought about this trying to work out the faults in the plan. "I want to do that. It's a great idea. But won't our mentors worry?" I said frowning. "I know I thought about that too. Oakfur has dawn patrol tomorrow though and Stoneflame is supposed to go to that medicine cat meeting, right?" He went on looking excited. "Wow! Your right. Ok let's do this!"

"Don't worry I know you didn't mean to not be there. You couldn't help it that's all." I yawned to Stoneflame. "Thanks for understanding kiddo." I felt my eyes drooping with tiredness. Wrapping my tail over my nose I settled into my nest trying to get comfortable and soon drifted into sleep.

The flame! Follow It! The time is now! I snapped awake. It was that she cats voice! The one I'd dreamed about before! I was about to lay back down when I froze. Stoneflames nest was empty. Dazedly I watched as dreamlike flaming paw steps led outside. Stoneflame was the flame. And I was going to follow it.