Fated, Not Destined

Start from the beginning

"Elie, you know that is impossible! Asher is still in love with my sister. And I still love Conan."

"You both have to face reality, okay? Asena is dead! And Conan is out of the picture... Don't you get it?!

"I know. I know that. But... We can't talk about love now. It's impossible. Enough of this talk. Let's change the topic! So what keeps you extra busy at work?"

Eliana blushed into a soft chuckle and yawned out tiredly. "It's a long story. I need to drink one thing: chilled first...I'm thirsty. Where's your kitchen?"

"Right over there." Lilah pointed, and Eliana walked towards the refrigerator to get herself a drink.

Lilah yawned tiredly and walked into the kitchen. She opened the refrigerator and picked out some fresh fruits. Instead of drinking juice and wine, Lilah preferred drinking juice that is naturally made. She placed the fruits in a bowl and rinsed them in the sink. Then she sliced the berries, grapes, mangoes, and pineapples into the blender.

Just then, Asher entered from work. The

whirring sound in the silence caught his attention as he walked to the kitchen.

"Lilah, what are you doing?"

She paused, turned back at him, and suddenly went speechless. "Ummm, I'm... I am making fruit juice."

She looked away, pouring the blended fruits into a clean cup. Although Lilah could feel his eyes on her, she acted not to care. Lilah added a cucumber to it and then placed two fresh cucumbers on the stainless tray. About to slice it, she felt a hand in hers. Looking up, she realized it was Asher.

She froze, staring at him with wide eyes.

"Just give me the knife." Lilah's eyes danced at him, puzzled at his sudden concern while he collected it from her.

"You don't have to be in the kitchen."

"But I wanted to prepare it myself. There was no one around to help me and I don't have a problem doing this."

"If you don't have a problem with it, I do. Ordinarily, you are not supposed to touch a knife, let alone use the kitchen. I've ordered a maid, she would help with the domestic chores and all." He hinted.

"But you don't have to do that. You... Shouldn't" Her fingers touched her nape.

"You are heavily pregnant, Lilah. Just go inside. I would bring the fruit juice to you in no time."

Lilah placed a hand over her mouth, suppressing the laughter. A frown formed on Asher's face as he wondered what was funny.

"I just started my second trimester. I'm not heavily pregnant." She corrected.

"Whatever... Just go inside. I'll serve you soon." He pressed.

"No. I don't want to go inside. You need to go inside and change first. You're just coming from work." Giving him a half smile.

"I don't mind. Fine, if you want to watch, be my guest."

She smiled and sat on the stool, watching how serious he was. Lilah couldn't help but imagine what had changed in him. After blending, he sieved out the fruit juice and poured its contents into a jug, adding some ice to make it cold. Then he placed it in front of her at the breakfast bar, with a glass cup to drink.

Lilah gently poured the contents into the cup and drank. A quick intake of air escaped her as she felt satisfied.

"Tastes great, right?" Asher sighed, causing her to look at him.

"I prepared it, not you." Lilah defended, but he took his cup to drink, too.

"It tastes great." He commented.

"What would you like to eat?" she asked him and he looked stunned.

"I wanted to ask you that. What would like to eat?"

She chuckled at him again. Holding back the laugh.

"What is funny?"

"You, Asher. You are acting weird, especially with your suit on. Change, please." She rolled her eyes at him.

"Not after you make an order."

"Order for what?"

"For dinner." He whined. "What should I prepare for you?"

She laughed out louder this time. He looked disappointed and his face asked questions.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She tried to stop laughing but failed. "Thing is, it's the first time I've seen you in the kitchen and you want to cook for me. Do you know how to cook?"

"I can't believe you just asked me this. It's because I hardly cook. My mum and I prepare our food and order when in haste so that's why we never needed a chef but today, I will prepare anything you want to eat." He clarified.

"Hmmm... Even my favorite food?" Lilah raised a slim eyebrow.

"Your favorite food. What is it?" He asked, concerned, as Lilah emptied the glass cup at hand. "Buttermilk pancakes with yogurt and strawberry. But let's add blueberries this time."

He smiled with satisfaction. Not telling her that was his favorite food, too.

"Okay, then. I would serve dinner in an hour." He took off his jacket and left the kitchen. "10 minutes to change. I'll be right back."

"Really? I can't wait. I can't wait to eat these special pancakes." She told him before he left and blushed at his attitude.

'How funny.' She nodded negatively, drowning the jug of fruit juice.