Swamp Gut was a mysterious illness. It came on quickly. Victims would burn up in agonising pain. Some would get better with no explanation – most died.

Tasha understood Swamp Gut had to be some kind of virus. She also knew that there was nothing she could do but ride it out.

There was no known equivalent illness in Federation medicine. Tasha's field medical training had taught her that much.

There was nothing Beverly could do for her but manage the symptoms. This kind of ailment would undoubtedly trigger Beverly's insatiable curiosity. Tasha was in no mood to spend the next few days being poked and prodded, trapped in Sickbay like some lab rat.

So, Data and Tasha had spent breakfast in a terse disagreement before Tasha ended the discussion reminding them both they were due to report for duty.

"Morning, Data," Geordi said as he swept into the lab.

"Commander!" Miles waved.

They were just about to initiate a new round of tests on a phaser coil redesign. If they were successful, they'd be able to skim another 1.2 microns from each coil. While that may seem insignificant, when applied to all phaser coils it would save them a total of fifteen square metres of space.

Space was a valuable commodity on a starship – even just fifteen square metres.

Finding ways to condense their equipment would mean more room for supplies, additional phasers, or even additional systems.

"Cutting it close, eh?" Miles teased. "New hairstyle?"

"Lieutenant Yar was not feeling well this morning," Data answered.

Miles and Geordi exchanged a brief glance out of the corner of their eyes.

Data headed into the test chamber to finalise the connection to the simulation.

As soon as the door was closed, Geordi laughed.

"That doesn't mean anything," Miles whispered. "I'd be sick too if I'd eaten an entire jar of pincha peppers for dinner."

"C'mon! That's morning sickness!" Geordi protested in a hushed voice.

Miles rolled his eyes.

"One bloody morning," he said sharply as he shook his finger.

They fell silent as soon as Data emerged from the test chamber. Geordi was unscrewing and re-screwing a piece he'd already done twice. Miles was whistling nervously – just like he did at poker.

This did not go unnoticed by the perceptive Second Officer.

-X-

"How's Wes?" Tasha asked.

"He's doing much better," Beverly replied. "He's got another few rounds of treatment to repair the damage to his bone marrow, but the prognosis is good."

She paused and leaned forward to grab her glass of wine from the coffee table.

The three friends were scattered about Deanna's quarters for their weekly girl's night. The recent slew of assignments on the Enterprise had been mundane. While they loathed the monotony, it was a chance for everyone to enjoy leisure and personal time.

It meant the three women had been able to enjoy their weekly girl's night without interruption for the last six weeks – a rare treat aboard a starship.

"I think Haven is going to do him so good. The waters are said to have wondrous healing properties," Beverly said.

She was a woman of science, but she wasn't ready to discount the legends. Beverly had seen far too many miraculous cures come of out the waters of remote mountain ranges or newly discovered plant life.