.twenty-two| 𝐀 𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐝

tw: this chapter will very lightly mention suicide.

"And what exactly were you all doing at the lake?" Powell asked as he stared at the four teens on the couch, their parents, minus Leven, Stella, and Max's Mom, behind him

They were all silent. Clove cleared her throat. "Enjoying the summer night. You know, Grease style."

"Going for a walk." Max agreed with her. "Grease Style."

"Minus the cigarettes, duh." the blonde laughed with a wave of her hand.

"A walk? At 9:00pm?" Callahan asked, Clove rolled her eyes so hard her head started to throb slightly. Her and officer Callahan did not have the best past.

"To the lake." Dustin explained, his voice grew higher. "We were gonna-take a little swim. Little night swim."

"Dusty." Mrs.Henderson gapped at her son. "Someone was just murdered there."

"We were paying our respects." Clove exclaimed. "You can ask Anna, with the news crew. We spoke earlier and when she told me about Patrick, we just wanted to wish him a peaceful passing."

"But that's why we didn't actually swim." Lucas added in quickly.

"And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim?" Karen leaned forward with worried eyes.

Just as Max said no, Dustin said yes.

"We're not sure." Lucas tried to reason.

"She dropped us off, for sure." Clove nodded her head.

"Then she left." Dustin agreed with her, "It's all a little confusing."

"That's when you guys came." Lucas exclaimed with fake enthusiasm to the police.

"Right. And then they dared me to say what I said about the killer." Max forced a laugh.

"A little freshman year initiation." Clove scoffed with a little wave. "We've all been there, am I right or am I right?"

"You're lucky you didn't get shot." Ted pointed out to them.

"I actually have a petition about better gun control in Hawkins. I need a thousand signatures before town hall considers it but if you're that worried, Ted, i'd be happy to let you be the next signing." Clove smiled sarcastically in his direction, batting her eyes to show her innocence.

"Have you had any contact with Eddie?" Powell looked at the four again.

"You'll have to be a little more specific, sir. I, you know, have a lot of boys under my belt." Clove forced a laugh with a wave of her hand, Max laughed with her. "You know me. All happy with a bunch of boys!"

"Munson." he exhaled in annoyance.

"That psycho...freak killer?" Dustin glared in disbelief. "God, no. Nope. Absolutely not."