𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Start from the beginning

Michaela spoke up, walking over to their clique slowly while I walked behind her. " Whatchu want Kai?"

Malakai smiled brightly, rubbing his hands together. " Nun, I just wanted to see what was up wit y'all, dats all."

Michaela smacked her lips,  " Boy get out my face."

" C'mon Mic, you needa stop playin wit a nigga and come fuck wit me." Malakai said, twisting one of his locs in his hand.

" You for da streets, bye."

" Dammmn, that's tuff." Marcello instigated, causing me to chuckle. In the corner of my eye, I could see Miguel staring right into my soul. I avert my eyes to him, not breaking eye contact with each other.

He narrowed his eyes, " We need ta talk."

Conversations around us dimmed suddenly, the attention on us. I cross my arms, " No, we don't." 

He stepped closer to me, the rest of his friends stepping back to watch what was happening, even Michaela took a few steps back. Enzo shook his head disapprovingly, not saying a word but it was clear that he didn't agree with what Miguel was doing. " Yes, we do. Now bring yo ass on," Miguel grumbled, pulling my arm but I snatched back.

" What the hell is your problem? Do you seriously have to start your shit right now?" I snapped, looking at him in disbelief.

" Yo watch who the fuck you're talking to-"

I shook my head aggressively, " No I'm not doing this with you, Not now, not ever. leave me the hell alone and stay out of my way." 

I gesture to Michaela, " Let's go, we're done here."

"  We should go get some food, I'm starving." Michaela said, grabbing my hand.

I nodded my head, " I agree, I'm starving."

As if on cue, both of our stomachs grumbled, causing us to laugh loudly. I could feel Miguel's death glare as I passed him and his friends, hearing him mumble underneath his breath. Rolling my eyes, I continue to follow behind Michaela's figure, adjusting the tote bag on my shoulder.

" Soo... you gonna explain what the hell happened?" Michaela questioned, getting us in line at Chic-fil-a.

I sighed, rubbing my head. " I honestly don't know myself,"

" What do you think he wanted to talk to you about?"

I groaned lightly, " I rather not even think about it. I don't care,"

" I don't know, I feel like at some point y'all are gonna have to speak to each other. Especially if it involves the kids," Michaela points out, shrugging her shoulders.

" That all depends on if he's willing to put his pride and ego aside. He thought I was going to kiss his ass, but he was wrong. Secondly, I know that Eudora and Andres have been talking about a play date and i see no problem with it, but it's just something about Miguel's attitude that just says differently."  I explained.

" Esme, You weren't in the right either. Both of you said hurtful things to each other- not to mention you did it in front of y'all siblings knowing damn well they'll copy every little thing that you'll do. I think the issue with y'all is that you think the situation is all about yourselves when it has nothing to do with any of you. It's about the kids, and what's best for them. You two don't have to be friends, or even associates, but from what you told me about Eudora- I know she likes that little boy, and it'll break her heart if she keeps asking her big sister if she can have play dates with him and she says no. This also applies to Miguel- not saying that he's any better because he's NOT, but you should try eliminating yourself out of the equation and think about the best for Eudora."

I open my mouth to respond, but nothing came out. What was there to say? Especially when I know that Michaela is right about everything.. but i didn't want to admit that. Maybe because I wanted to believe that Miguel was my enemy.

I snap out of my thoughts as me and Michaela are next in line, getting out my wallet to pay. Michaela bought a large sprite with a chicken salad while I decided to get the eight piece nuggets with fries and ranch.

We sat down at the nearest table, waiting for our names to be called. Michaela looks over at me, sighing deeply. " Girl I ain't mean to offend you or nun, but I just wanted to be honest wit you. Ya know?"

I nod my head in agreement, " I understand, I needed to hear it anyway." 

" Michaela!"

" Esme!"

We stood up from our tables and grabbed our foods, saying thank you. We headed back to where we were seated and dug in. While we sat there in silence, I thought about what Michaela said. As much as I hate to admit it, the only person who's dealing with pride right now is me. I have too much pride to apologize, or work things out, or try to meet at a middle ground.