9.3 Rules of the Exam

Start from the beginning

"Regarding the remaining outcomes, they are written on the reverse side of the handout. However, please wait a bit before turning the paper over." We had instinctively reached over to flip the paper but stopped once we heard that. As we began to grasp the rules of this exam little by little, Mashima-sensei stared at us with sharp eyes. It seemed like the exam had already begun. 

"Ah, wait a minute. I'm not following you at all." Although Mashima-sensei had given us a rather simple explanation, Nino had only been half-listening, so she didn't completely understand. 

"Very well, I will explain in simpler terms. Have you played the game Werewolf?" 

"Werewolf? Oh, that game's been popular for a while, right? Yeah, yeah, I've played it. It's pretty interesting," she said. I couldn't help but be slightly bewildered, and my reaction showed. 

"Wait a second. Kiyotaka, don't tell me you don't know about Werewolf? Whoa, I can't believe it."

She could be amazed all she wanted, but I hadn't heard of it. Besides, it was probably a lot more fun playing games with friends than playing alone. I just glanced at Nino. That happy state was way beyond my reach, though. Nino seemed to realize this and appeared sad. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pried into your life."

It seemed like she didn't get my message

"I know it. Yotsuba, Miku, and I played with Inogashira, Onodera, and Mori."

"Wait! Why didn't I know it?" She yelled.

Mashima-sensei coughed to regain our attention. "Now please flip the page."

We flipped the page. The remaining two outcomes were written on it. For those two outcomes alone, answers would be accepted at any time during the test, or during the 30 minutes after the test had ended, just like with the other rules. Should you make a mistake in either timeframe, you would incur a penalty. 

OUTCOME #3: This outcome is triggered when someone other than the VIP gives the correct answer to the school without waiting until 9:30 p.m. on the final day of the exam. That student's class will gain fifty class points, and the person who submitted the correct answer will earn 500,000 private points. Also, the VIP class will lose fifty class points as a penalty. At that point, the group's testing period will come to an end. However, if one of the VIP's classmates is the person who submits the correct answer, this answer will not be counted and the test will continue. 

OUTCOME #4: This outcome is triggered when someone other than the VIP gives an incorrect answer without waiting until 9:30 p.m. on the final day of the exam. That student's class will lose fifty class points. The VIP will earn 500,000 private points, and the VIP's class will earn fifty class points. The testing period will end for the group that submitted the incorrect answer. However, if one of the VIP's classmates is the person who submits the incorrect answer, this answer will not be counted and the test will continue. 

The remaining two outcomes made it much easier to see the big picture. If we were limited to only Outcomes #1 and #2, there was no problem if the VIP shared their identity with everyone. Even if you made a mistake, there was no penalty. However, with the addition of these "traitor" rules, the test was suddenly flipped on its head. Should the VIP carelessly out themselves, traitors would prey upon them. Since the school would accept answers any time during the test, no one would seriously aim for Outcome #1. 

Everyone would take actions that would garner points. If the VIP wanted to trick the other classes and secure their own victory, they could come up with a scheme to make it look like another person was the VIP. Your reward would be reduced, but you'd also be penalizing the other classes. 

"The school will take anonymity into account during this test. At the end, only the outcomes for each group and the increase or decrease in points for each class will be announced. In other words, we will not announce the names of the VIPs or those who submitted answers. Also, if you wish, you may have a temporary ID assigned to you, to which you can transfer points. It is also possible to divide points up and receive them that way. If you yourself remain quiet, there should be no fear of discovery after the test. Of course, if it's not necessary for you to hide your identity, you may receive your points openly. That is perfectly fine."