Chapter 28 : Drakon

Start from the beginning

When I didn't say anything, he continued. "Liam's ability rotates around the mastery of all living things bounded by Lust. It means he has the power to control anything with a brain. If he wants, he can take over kingdoms in one sweep."

My eyes widened at the information. I sat back on my heels and glanced to the side, unconsciously drawing away from Braidguy's touch.

He didn't seem too bothered. "I bet Liam didn't disclose the depth of his abilities because he feared you might think he's controlling your actions. And that includes your feelings towards him.

"Either way, you should know that using a power at a wide range can be very draining. It's the only downfall to our abilities. That's why our sinful side needs to ascend; so we can become powerful -- not easily downgraded by the gods. And you're the only one who can help us do that."

Yeah, sure.

*...his greek name.*

I frowned feeling my brain itch as a female voice broke through my thoughts. It was calm -- almost motherly -- but still held a lot of resolve.

*Say his greek name.*

The hell?

My tongue instantly burned with the urge to speak the words. It grew stronger by the second until I couldn't hold it back anymore. "Yperifáneia." Pride.

The word pushed from my lips and Braidguy held a breath, eyes wide in shock. The invisible weight of his gravitational ability suddenly dissipated and I exploited the opening, bolting to my feet. It took him a second to snap out of it but I was already skirting behind him, not aiming for the door but something else.

He made a grab for me, but I darted underneath his swiping arm and snatched a tail. He stiffened as I appeared before him with a smug smile.

The sin snarled, tail twitching nervously in my grasp. "What do you think you're doing?"

And just from that, I could read his emotions for the second time. He was nervous.

*Predictable pets. They love it when you acknowledge them by their greek name.*

I ignored the voice, knowing immediately who she was. Pandora spoke like she always had the upper hand when it came to the Sins. Maybe I could test that theory. I gathered enough courage and took a step forward. Braidguy's expression switched to a pure emotion as he observed my advance...

Uncertainty.

He took a step back and I matched his retreat, closing in till he hit a wall. His tail still shivered in my hands. Now cornered, he snarled and shot his hand out, grabbing my neck. The message was clear; he'll attack if I don't step away. The animalistic action made sense. His ego won't tolerate a defeat, especially when backed against a wall.

I moved a step forward and stroked his tail. Braidguy jerked, his breath quickened as he slumped forward, eyes clouded with confusion.

How could he not know how sensitive his tail was?

Relinquishing the upper hand, I grabbed his braid between my fingers and felt the silky hair that had been woven delicately. A thin black string was embedded in the braid, keeping it together.

Braidguy remained silent. His bright eyes watched me like a hawk as I barely whispered under my breath. "What's your human name?"

He hesitated, proving stubbornness. He won't tell me. Well then...

I moved my fingers, brushing the tip of his tail. He jerked again. Batwings sprouted involuntarily from his back. They scratched the wall, expanding on both sides. His hand loosened, claws jutted out and scales erupted on his outer arms, torso, and cheek. He growled under his breath, the sinful side now in control.