Taking a few steps forward, the ground sloped downward before steeply dropping off 60ft (About 18 meters). Below was the crashing of waves on black rocks. The white frothy saltwater could be tasted in the wind. 

 Everything about this scene was awe-inspiring. I'd had the pleasure of visiting times and places where oceans were prevalent, but none compared to the beauty of this planet.

 I wonder where exactly I am.

 Looking to the right, I could see a bay wrapping around the cliffside and a faint silhouette against the darkening waters. 

 A boat!

 I'd never seen one in person before, only in the history books. Squinting, I squatted down on the cliffside and tried to get a better look. 

 The boat looked like a passenger boat, coming into the bay. 

 So there is civilization here.

 I wasn't sure if the feeling that overcame me was fear or curiosity, but I ignored it either way. I'm sure the Board wouldn't notice if I wasn't back for a few hours. Maybe they haven't even realized their mistake yet.

 Carefully I got up and bounded down the other side of the cliff, which slowly but gradually led down to a road that I hadn't noticed before.

 The road wrapped around the corner of the cliff and led farther inland, farther into the bay. 

 I walked on the heated pavement on the winding road for a few miles (Around 3 km). Nothing in sight except the stark difference between the golden cliffside ahead of me and the esoteric waters below. The black pavement was bleached by the sun, along with the yellow paint. I assumed that because there was a road, there would be some sort of automotive around, but I had no idea what it might look or sound like. 

 The machinery of that type was lost in the history books, inaccessible to most of the population. A small vehicle that ran on fuel rather than electricity was unfathomable by most. Fuel was only used to power space shuttles. Otherwise, almost everything was solar-powered. 

 The idea that you at one point could own your own automobile was extremist. 

 I figured if I could find an intelligent lifeform, I could ask what year it was. Then I might know how to deal with my situation, and whether or not to go straight home. 

 Certain planets and time periods could be extremely dangerous.

 Finally looking ahead, I could see the outline of buildings. About 100ft (About 30 meters) inland, there were buildings and roads, and to the left were shipping docks. Ships lined the blackened waters, unmoving except for rocking back and forth. 

 A small stretch of beach to the right had small figures walking along the shoreline, and a pier extended from the beach out to the water. People were on the pier with lines extending out to the water, connected to long poles in their hands. At least these organisms looked to be humanoid descendants.

 Whatever time period this was, humans seemed to have no structure or authority in their daily lives. It looked like this was an activity of recreation.

 Walking farther along the road, the warm sun kept the chilly breeze at bay. Eventually, I could see a building on the left, off of the cliff. It had an asphalt lot with automobiles parked in a neat line.

 I'd never in my life seen anything like these vehicles. 

 Deciding the best place to find someone to talk to was in this building, I pressed on and crossed the road to the lot.

 The delicate sound of men and women talking and chatting with each other surprised me, they looked completely human. Plus, they were loud. Looking at the building, the massive wooden square blocked the sun and cast a shadow on me. 

 Walking up to the doors, people looked at me weirdly, scoffing and laughing quietly. I assumed it was because of my attire, not exactly inconspicuous. Everyone around me had on pressed suits or dresses and heels. The women had their hair up and curled neatly, and the men ranged from wearing full suits to only wearing simple crew necks with overalls or jeans.

 I anxiously entered the building, the cool air hitting me in the face. The bright pink and teal colors shrouded the space, and a counter with seats lined the front of the restaurant. Tables and booths lined the sides, with couples talking over food I couldn't identify.

 No one paid any mind to my entering.

 I stepped up to the counter and took a seat, looking around. 

 A strange, aromatic smell filled the space. I searched for the source, and just as a woman in a dress and apron walked by holding a cup, I knew.

 They had coffee. 

 The smell filled the entire building, and suddenly the extent of the noise and chatter of these individuals filled the space along with my mind.

 Coffee was a luxury only afforded by the rich. All of the supply taken from Earth was grown into coffee plants on an expensive space station inaccessible to those who didn't have enough money. 

 The odd part was, the only planet I knew of that had coffee plants naturally throughout history was Earth. But this couldn't possibly be Earth, so where was I?

 The woman walked passed and set the two steaming cups on a table across the restaurant. She returned behind the counter only to get two more cups and fill them to the brim with a huge pot under a humming, metallic machine. 

 I was speechless.

 The goods my people have been deprived of are abundant and taken for granted in this timeline.

-

-

-

1644 words.

Thanks for reading!