Ch 4

It's been 4 years since I've been brought here, meaning I am now 13 years old. Today was the day, today we get more test subjects.

   But, let's rewind a little bit. More has happened since today.

   2 months ago, as 001 and I have suspected, we've been scrapped from the program. We are no longer subjects. But, we are still not free. We have been 'promoted', if you can even call it that, to 'Junior Orderlies'. We are now expected to be helping in the training of new subjects.

   And, now, since we are no longer numbers of the project, we have names. 001's name which I am supposed to refer to him as is Peter Ballard. There will not be anybody to fill the spot of 001 though as his tattoo is still finalized in this skin, but he is not to speak of his experience as a subject.

   Me, on the other hand, have been dubbed the name Y/N Ives. Peter says it's much better than "Zero," but I still kind of think that the name is rad.

   Back to the day, the subjects being brought in to us are 2 boys. 002 and 003. They seemed a little intimidated by the new environment so I tried to help them adapt to the colourful walls that are the rainbow room.

   After I finish showing them around, they seem quite eager to play with the toy cars that I showed them. I show them how to wind the cars up and how to make them race and they're both eager as can be to try for themselves.

   The two boys entertain themselves thoroughly for the rest of their free time before Dr. Brenner interrupts, ready to take them to their first lesson. He explains to them how to address him and what they are going to learn.

That's another thing, I no longer have to call dad 'Papa' unless it's in front of the subjects. But still, the sooner I can ditch all fatherly connections to that man the better.

   Before they leave, Dr. Brenner looks over to us and ask us for our opinion. "Would you two like to join us or would you rather the other orderlies take over from here?" Me and Peter look at each other and think it through. We don't say anything, but we both know what we're thinking.

   "Yeah sure, we will come."

———

   Their first lesson went well. They both did a good job considering it I was pretty much just a game to feel the energy around them. Now, it was time for lunch.

   Me and Peter have slightly different food than the young boys. We're older so we require more nutrients, therefore our trays are a little fuller. We sit at a different table than the two boys. It's our usual table from when we were subjects.

   "What are the pants like?" I ask, trying to make conversation. Peter shrugs while pushing his food around. Even though we get more of it, it doesn't necessarily mean it's any more appetizing.

   "Meh, they aren't the worst. A little less liberating then the hospital gowns, but I'm also less worried about accidentally flashing anybody," he replied.

   I chuckled in response. I could agree with him there. My uniform was a little bit different than his, I still had the white button down and belt and what not, but I had a white knee length skirt that had white biker shorts to accompany it underneath. I also had black Mary Janes instead of black loafers like he had. I was also given some hair clips, bows and ties to keep my hair back.

   I told Dr. Brenner that I wanted my long hair back and he said I could have it as long as I kept it out of the way. To my surprise, he actually gave me stuff to keep it out of the way with. And accessorize it with, too.

   Today it was just in two little pony tails sat atop each side of my head as it wasn't really long enough to do anything else with yet. Peter's hair was getting longer, too. And it had also began to lighten up as well. When I first met him, his hair was buzzed, obviously, but it was still visibly a brown colour. Now that it was growing, and he was growing too, it had started to lighten up a bit.

———

   Over the past few weeks, it has almost seemed like Peter was beginning to get colder again. Like he was giving me the cold shoulder he always had when I had first been brought to the lab.

   It was like he was mad at me or something. I didn't know what it was, and I blamed it on me being a pubescent teenage girl, but he was almost jealous of something. Like I was spending more time with the new subjects than he had.

   I don't know what's gotten into him.

Enjoying the story? I'd appreciate a vote if you are! If not, what in your opinion are you enjoying less? Love ya! <3