14 - of night walks and burning star

Start from the beginning

"I always hung out by myself so I never felt that lonely. You're a great addition." Mairi pulled the corner of her lips. Underneath the illumination of the streetlight, her purple eyes seemed as though they were glinting. "Thanks for the concern, though."

This woman... At other times she was completely impenetrable, but in those moments where even the slightest change was seen... Abel's ribs pounded — as if it was being bludgeoned. Just how many times should I tell you... Stop harboring those stupid feelings you dumbass.

"Huh. I-I'm not concerned. I only pitied you." Abel grumbled as he dashed past her, his pace became oddly faster.

"I see." She strode after him, her long hair gliding through the air. "Feeling pity means you still cared in one way or another."

"It's different!" He exclaimed.

"At least for me... it's the same," she insisted as she skipped over a small hole. "Pity shows your empathy."

He subconsciously rubbed the back of his warm neck and he ogled hard at the concrete below. Regardless of how much he tried denying her sentiments, she would easily ricochet them back to him. You can't even form a single rebuttal against her, so what do you expect from challenging her?

"Anyway... there's gonna be another cosplay con in October," Mairi announced. "Have you thought of who to cosplay as?"

And now that was an excellent question. Abel had to give her some credit there.

"Not really. I do have a couple of characters in mind, but probably Klo from Sword Dance," he bubbled. "That redhead... he's an actual badass. He's both confident and knows how to outsmart his enemies, not a complete coward like the others, so he's pretty much my type of guy."

"Ah, I know that one. I read the novels but haven't watched the series," she acknowledged. "But from what you've cosplayed so far, I can see why you like him."

"I've got to design his costume as soon as I can though. He has a lot of props to do compared to Kaito, but I can't wait for that." Abel rubbed his hands, before he placed his arms behind his head. "How about you?"

"Levi." There was no hesitation in her voice; her answer came in like a bullet. "My fans have been begging me to cosplay him for quite a while now, so I've started working on his cape and uniform."

Ah yes, that Attack on Titan man who was responsible for the explosion of countless ovaries. When the series took a huge leap into the spotlight, Charlotte and Adrian had been waxing lyrical about his character and backstory. Can't really blame them though. He actually knows what he's doing and is pretty respectable.

However, Abel managed to discern a pattern of characters she had cosplayed; they were either the elegant or expressionless type. At the thought, he inwardly sneered. I can see where she's going. Taking advantage of her poker face, huh?

"We both get some good characters," she went on. "I can't wait to see how they're gonna turn out."

"Heh, I'll make sure my cosplay's much better than before and sweep over the showcase before you know it." Abel simpered, his impish grin wider than ever while he hopped two steps down a staircase. "I learned my lesson, so I won't be like last week. It's gonna be a huge comeback, let me tell you."

There was no verbal feedback, but Mairi did halt on top of the stairs. Because nature always loved participating in their conversation, the evening breeze grew in strength, tousling both of their contrasting hairs. No lampposts were shining down on where they currently were, but Abel — somehow — traced out her immovable deadpan face as she gazed straight at him.