3.

....................................

The weight of secrets pressed heavily on my shoulders as we pulled up to the grand entrance of our opulent mansion. Nathan's voice sliced through the tense air, his words a blade cutting through the silence that enveloped us. "Are you going to tell them what happened at the warehouse?" he demanded, his eyes burning with a fierce determination. His question struck a nerve, igniting a fire within me.

My jaw clenched, a stubborn resolve hardening my features. No, I couldn't let them know. The truth was too dangerous, too volatile. Some secrets were better left buried in the depths of darkness. I had promised my fathers that we would never keep secrets from each other, that we would face our enemies as a united front. But this... this was different. This was my burden to bear, my battle to fight. I couldn't drag them into the depths of my chaos.

"No," I replied, my voice firm and resolute. Nathan's expression hardened, his eyes mirroring the fury that blazed within me. He understood the gravity of my decision, and though his instinct screamed to oppose it, he nodded, his grip on the steering wheel tightening. We exchanged a silent pact, a vow to protect each other even when the truth threatened to tear us apart. With a silent understanding, he signaled the guards to open the doors, and we stepped out of the car.

As the guards bowed their heads in deference, I stepped out of the car, the weight of my responsibilities settling upon me like a crown of thorns. Bella intercepted me, her voice gentle and concerned. "Hey, Aura, would you like to eat something before we leave?" she asked, her eyes filled with warmth and care. The tenderness in her voice momentarily softened the storm raging within me. She was a beacon of light in my dark world, innocent and untainted by the shadows that consumed us. I must shield her from the truth, shield her from the monster I had become.

"No, Bella, thank you," I replied, my tone polite yet firm. She understood the unspoken message, that I needed solitude, that I was grappling with demons too dangerous to share. With a sweet smile, she retreated, allowing me to slip into the sanctuary of my room, where I could wrestle with the chaos that threatened to consume me.

Once inside, my thoughts swirled with images of the warehouse, of the revelations that had been thrust upon me.

Flashback

The room was cloaked in a shroud of darkness, the air thick with tension and danger. Elijah trembled as he handed me the photographs, his voice quivering as he recounted the events. "It came this afternoon... a box. I thought it might be a bomb or something, but when I opened it, I found these photos," he stammered, his eyes wide with fear. My body tensed, my breath caught in my throat as I laid eyes on the person captured in the images. Each photo, a different moment in time, showcasing the same face, the face that haunted my nightmares.

Nathan sensed the storm brewing within me and moved silently, his footsteps barely audible. He stood beside me, his own shock mirroring mine, as he glimpsed the photos in my trembling hands. Anger surged through me like a tempest, my fury palpable, radiating from my very essence. I hurled one of the pictures onto the table, the sound of it clattering against the surface echoing through the room.