Chapter 6

The restaurant was adorned with different lights, especially the combination of red and yellow, just like its logo made it even more beautiful. Zayn could see the board M from that distance, the road was a bit slippery and a bit steep. He speeded up, held his bag tight, and acted cool even though he was a bit worried. The sky was painted grey again mixed with the color of sunset, and it started raining. Zayn ran down, as he was almost near the restaurant door, he slipped, bumped into someone, and felt someone's grip on his hand before he hit the floor.

'Hey watch out... ' the person said, pulling Zayn up, still holding his hands. For a moment he was frozen, it all happened in a fraction of seconds - and it took almost a minute for Zayn to respond.

'I'm ... I'm so sorry, I slipped' - Zayn responded

'I thought you broke a bone' - reply from the other end.

'I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you'

'It's alright, otherwise, you'd have ended up hitting your back against the floor' - the person responded. 'Thank you for holding a grip on me' Zayn said with downcasted eyes.

'No worries, I think the marbles are a lot slippery now' - the boy flipped his hair and looked at Zayn again.  'yeah... it is' he was a little embarrassed but was glad that there weren't many people around. Both were standing face to face near the door and looked away when they heard the 'Move aside, make room' sound from the waiter. They both moved to the left side.

'You'd ruin your white shirt' 'Yeah, I wasn't expecting the fall though' Zahe replied, now smiling shyly. The other boy was removing the hair from his eyes, which was partially restricting his vision. 'So... are you new in town?' - the boy enquired casually. 'No, no I live in BD4' - Zayn replied following that boy who was now looking for a vacant spot. 'C'mon let's grab those seats' He pointed at two seats on the rightmost corner, under the yellow dim light and exact near to the window, which is closed now. Both of them sat on the opposite chairs facing one another again, the chair was silver-colored with dark red cushions. Zayn pulled the chair closer to the table so he could sit better.

'So, you live in BD4?' he questioned and continued the conversation.

'Yeah yeah'

'I haven't seen you here before'

'This is my first time here' Zayn said.

'Seriously???... no way, you've got to be kidding me' his jaw dropped in amusement. 'Yeah seriously, I haven't been here before' Zayn said. 'That's odd, you live in BD4 and you've never been here!! Sounds a bit harder to believe' he said. 'I've never got to visit this place' - Zayn said fidgeting with his watch. 'Okay... cool' the boy said smiling. 'You don't talk much right?' - he asked again. 'Yeah somehow, I think so' - Zayn said.  'I figured that out from your eyes' - he said. Silence spreaded, and Zayn looked down picking random thoughts out of nowhere...

'Hey, you alright?' the boy looked straight into Zayn's eyes - it was interrupted by the menu list placed on top of the black glistening glass table by the waiter, who looks perfect in that black and white cloth with McDonald's emblem on it.

'What can I pick from the menu for you?' the waiter stood holding both hands behind his back in a neat gesture. The boy looked into the menu before Zayn. 'Do you like chicken nuggets?' - he asked, Zayn nodded. The boy marked the order and handed it over to Zayn to place his. 'Chicken nuggets, bacon salad, large fries, regular white coffee' - 'This order would suffice' Zayn said. 'You sure?' the boy asked. 'Yeah, I was about to order the same' he smiled and handed back the menu card to the waiter.

'Where are you from?' Zayn asked the boy

'From a place...' - he giggled and replied.

'I know you are from a place, which place?' - Zayn asked again. 'Not far from here, I reckon' - he winked and waited for the moment to see Zayn talking. 'Your place doesn't have a name?' - Zayn was ready to continue the conversation now. 'There you go...' the boy placed his hands on his chin and continued 'I'm from Wolverhampton, so you are not a talk-to-me-or-I-won't-continue-the-conversation-kind-of-guy' he said and both agreed on that. Plates were already up on the table with the aroma of the coffee quoting thoughts between the two to making a space for new conversation... the wistfulness of this not being the last convo, the day not ending, to keeping the clock tick - the raindrops on the windows were watching the two enjoying the moment like they knew one another from the beginning of all. The two took a sip, 'Hmm nice coffee...' the boy whispered in excitement. 'So you come here often?' Zayn asked as he felt the need to take his mind out of the depths of the aroma. 'Mostly on weekends, it's a four-hour ride though' 'That's a long way' 'Yeah, I like to travel a lot, especially during nighttime' 'So you came here by car?' 'No... I don't even have a license, what do you think, do I look old?' - he asked laughing. 'I didn't mean that' - Zayn said smiling while eating the nuggets. 'I go by the train from the city interchange, I've got to walk one to two kilometers right after that' - he was gesturing all those. 'That would be too costly...' Zayn said. 'Yeah, but I love this place a lot, so I never missed a chance' - he replied like a proud traveler who'd spent whatever for a journey. 'You eat' - he reminded Zayn, who was keenly listening to his talk. It was already 7:15 when both of them finished their dishes, they got up, washed their faces, and the boy was about to pay the cash but Zayn resisted.

'Hey you don't have to pay mine, I'll pay it'

'No way, count it in as a treat'

'No no, I'll pay'

'It's alright mate, you pay the amount next time we meet, how about that!' - the boy said and paid both their amounts, Zayn couldn't help but stare at him in complete amazement.

'Play it cool mate, it's okay' he said when he caught Zayn staring at him in confusion. That boy's overcoat was still on the chair like a kind on a throne. He didn't forget to pick it up. It was drizzling outside - both of them slowly walked towards the front door.

'Be careful over there' - the boy reminded Zayn not to fall again, Zayn smiled. Both stood on the outside, looking at the vehicles passing by. 'Rainy rides are my favorite' the boy said stretching his hand to petter the raindrops. 'I like it too, especially when it's not too crowdy' - Zayn agreed. 'So how will you go back, I mean when is the train?' Zayn asked.  'Last train would be by around 9:00 PM, I won't wait till then, there is one around 8:15... what about you?' 'Oh, it's only a half an hour's walk from here' ' Are you going by the interchange?' 'No... it's on the opposite side, how will you get to the Interchange?' 'Maybe I'll walk, or will go by taxi - not sure though' he said wrapping his hands around the pillar next to them. 'Do you have an umbrella?' Zayn asked. 'Raincoat' - the boy said pointing to it. As the rain eased, both of them decided to part ways even though they wanted to carry on with the conversation, it was already too late. - nearing 8. If they continue with it, either the boy would miss the train back home or Zayn would shower himself with his parent's scolding.

'So, I think it's time to say goodbye...' the boy said.

'It was fun, thank you for that' - Zayn said still looking at the boy who was now looking away and about to take his steps onto the road.

'I'm Zayn Malik by the way' Zayn said

'Oh, I forgot to mention my name, it's Liam Payne' he extended his hand for a handshake, and they exchanged another moment before parting ways.

'It was a good day' Liam said and smiled. Both let go of their hands and walked out to the road and began their way back home, in opposite directions. Lights were up in the streets, and most of the people were standing here and there waiting for the rain to settle. Zayn made his way closer to the left side of the road, making him squelch at times. His mind was free as he almost reached the turn on the main road. He had the urge to look down at the road which was aback him -  he stopped, turned around, and looked, but he couldn't locate the boy anywhere.

'That was fast' - he whispered on knowing Liam might have run down the road so as to not miss the train. He continued to walk, both hands safely placed in his pocket. This was the first time he was taking such a walk in the middle of the night alone, the wind was blowing - it caressed his hair, he randomly checked the cars which were immersed in the darkness ahead with only headlights on, the wind was turning a bit harder and stronger now - it is almost another change in the weather now...

He felt as if he experienced a dream within the past 24 hours, not something that would force him to smile to hide his tears, but something which put a smile on his face even without him knowing - the ease he felt, the kind of calmness he experienced today was new, refreshing, the best he faced so far this year. In life, things won't happen the way we wanted them all the time, and most of the time it does worth it. He knew he was smiling, he traced his fingers through his hair and walked fast. The roads paved the path for him in a perefct way, in a few minute's time he was already home.