024 :: BEEN SOMETHING MORE.

Start from the beginning

To say she was nervous would be an understatement.

"Jennie."

She didn't know if she wanted to look just yet. Because she knew once she looked, she would see someone who changed her perception on life in many different ways. She would see someone who made her feel good and bad, the two feelings constantly switching.

She would see him.

Finally, she turned to the man who stood in front of the table she was seated at, quickly scanning his face.

He looked different, but also the same. How was that even possible?

Finally she cleared her throat, offering the man a small smile.

"Hey, Grayson."

"HOW have you been?"

That was the first thing Jennie said after the long silence between them. Grayson's eyes, which were previously focused on his cup of coffee, looked up at the girl, before he spoke.

"Good." He told her, "Really good, actually. I'm on a break right now, but I'll be out of college next year, and hopefully by then, I'll be accepted into law school. I'm actually— starting my application process now."

Jennie looked at the man, surprised at his words, "You're going to be a lawyer?"

"If all goes well." He nodded, "Hopefully it does. I mean, I've been working my ass off for the past three years. I'm gonna be kinda pissed if I don't make it."

With that, Jennie laughed, ultimately causing the small smile on Grayson's face to widen.

Even after almost three years, he still adored the sound of her laugh.

"What about you?" He asked her, curious.

"Uh, well—" Jennie began, trying to think of what to tell him, "I also graduate next year. I'm planning on taking this Honors Intership during the summer. It's a ten week program that'll give me some experience before applying to the academy."

"Wow." He chuckled, "I kinda forgot you're like— a rockstar."

"Hardly." She shook her head, "You're going to law school, for pete's sake."

"And you're going to be a freaking agent." He told her, "Not to mention how you're a year younger than me, and already graduating soon. Sounds like a rockstar to me."

As he took another sip of his coffee, she only rolled her eyes, with a small smile on her lips.

He really did miss it.

Her smile.

"Um, Grayson—" Jennie began, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, as she looked down at her hands, "Do you think we could talk about— it?"

He immediately knew what she meant by 'it'.

He wasn't surprised at the question. He knew it would be brought up eventually, either by him or Jennie. I mean— it was the whole reason they hadn't seen each other in almost three years.