003 :: PAPER NOTES.

─── RUNAWAY
CHAPTER THREE...!

!

❝ SEASON ONE , EPISODE FOUR  ❞

          JENNIE SAT beside Elle, as them, and the rest of the BAU team gathered around Spencer to celebrate his birthday.

"Make a wish!"

Spencer thought about it for a moment, before finally using all his lung power to blow out the candles in front of him. He tried even harder once seeing none of the candles were going out.

"Come on, man! Blow, baby, blow!" Derek encouraged the younger doctor, seeing him become confused on why they weren't blowing out.

"I thought you were full of hot air, Reid!" Elle teased, as everyone laughed.

"This is just sad, now, Spencer." Jennie told the man, causing Elle to throw her head back, laughing.

"They're trick candles, Spence. Okay?" JJ told the man, worried he was going to pass out.

Spencer gave the candles one last, furious blow before giving up, when Derek teased him "Awh, mommy to the rescue."

"Mommy!?"

"Ignore him."

JJ then started gathering the plates, "Hope you like chocolate."

"He better. JenJen and I did not spend four hours making this cake for nothin'." Derek stated, before crossing his arms.

"You barley even held a whisk, let alone helped. I had to do everything by myself." Jennie corrected him, grabbing a plate for her and Elle. "You just sat on the counter and ate the left over frosting."

"I used my money so you could buy the ingredients. Therefore─ Helped." Derek shot her a sarcastic, dazzling smile, causing the girl to roll her eyes.

Just before anyone could take a bite, Aaron set his office phone down, speaking up, "Sorry guys. Party's over."

Everyone let out a small, sad sigh, pushing themselves off the desk they were leaning on. Jennie got up, waving everyone goodbye, before seeing her dad walk up to her.

"Hey, take this─" Aaron grabbed a couple bills out of his wallet, handing them to Jennie.

Jennie took them, furrowing her eyebrows slightly, "What for?"

"I need you to take a bus to the hospital." The man told his daughter, placing his wallet back into his pocket, "It's for Haley."

"Haley? I-Is she okay?"

"Yeah, the doctors are just checking on her to monitor her blood sugar." Aaron spoke, "Just keep her company for me, okay?"

"Yeah, of course." Jennie nodded, grabbing her backpack. She gave her father a hug goodbye, before leaving the building.

───

           AS JENNIE got off the bus, she made her way to the hospital. However, as she was walking, she could feel a cold presence from behind her. She quickly turned, only to see no one was there.

Her face scrunched with confusion, before turning back to continue walking. When she felt the cold presence again, she turned even quicker, still seeing no one.

She huffed, scanning the area more, before deciding to just forget about it, and turn back around. Except this time when she turned around, she met the eyes of a stranger, who's lower face was covered with a mask .

Jumping, she placed her hand over her heart, letting out a huge breath "S-Sorry. I didn't even see you."

When the person remained silent, Jennie furrowed her eyebrows. Her eyes scanned across the strange person's face. They're face was white, almost blue. The body was shivering, as if they were freezing in the weather. Jennie couldn't blame them, though. It was quite windy.

They didn't speak, all they did was use their shaking hand to pass Jennie Hotchner a note. The stranger then brought their index finger to their mouth, muttering the sound sh, before walking off.

Jennie's eyes never left the person, until finally, they were out of her sight. Her eyes then went back to the folded note he had passed her.

She didn't hesitate to open it, her eyebrows furrowing as she read what was on the paper.

"I am in love, and the river is beginning to ice over. I'd better go drown myself before I freeze to death."

"Dark Jae Tin Zoo?" Jennie muttered under breath, recalling the quote from one of their books. She paused for a moment, her eyes traveling all around the note, before finally taking her phone out of her pocket, dialing her father.

When he picked up, Jennie couldn't even get a word out, as Aaron spoke up quickly "Jennie? What's wrong? Is Haley okay?"

"Yeah─ O-Or I don't know. I haven't gotten to the hospital yet." Jennie spoke, her voice stuttering due to the fear of the odd note in her hands, "But I─ uh, I got this note─"

"Jennie, honey, I'm a little swamped right now. We only have a couple hours to find this unsub." Aaron interrupted his daughter. Jennie could hear him board the private jet, meaning they were already on their way to where the case took place. "I don't have a lot of time."

Jennie opened her mouth to say something, just wanting to tell her father about the encounter she had just had. However, she looked back down at the note, reading it once more, with his slightly annoyed tone ringing through her head, before sighing, "Never mind. It was nothing. Have a safe trip. Love you."

With that, Jennie had placed her phone back into her pocket, and stuffed the paper into her backpack.

However, it'd only take a matter of months to learn that Jennie really should've told her father about the note.

AUTHOR'S NOTE. |

𝗐𝗈𝗋𝖽 𝖼𝗈𝗎𝗇𝗍.
915.