4

It was another day, not so bright, but neither dull in any manner

It was another day, not so bright, but neither dull in any manner. Pleasant. Beautiful. Pretty. Calming. The Lieutenant woke up from his bed, reaching towards his specs first. His tea was ready, his terror wasn't just outside in the society but in his own house as well. Which servant of his wasn't afraid of him? And why won't they be either, no one wants to hang on the cliff of death, no one wants to invite the grim reaper to their life themselves. He picked his perfectly made tea from his table and headed towards his balcony. Sounds of bells from the temple reaching his years. Moving to the sunlight, his eyes opened fully. His big mansion, wasn't just big in area but height as well. From the top, he can see the beautiful mountains from faraway, birds chirping, beautiful lake shining in the sunlight, but was the light enough for the fog to get penetrated? Well, no... Not that day. Though the sunlight was warm, the cold breeze wasn't letting anyone feel the warmth. No matter how much he hates Indians, he loves the nature, environment, enrichment of the country as much as he hates the people there. The day was perfect in itself, it can't get any better for him, it was his ideal weather, and a cup of tea made from original, freshly picked tea leaves from Darjeeling made it even more perfect. "Just like Chandni." The latter couldn't believe what just left his mouth itself. "Chandni?" Lieutenant heard his friend, Walter's voice. "John?" "Did you just say Chandni?" The latter can't lie, he never did, he don't know how to. "I... I... I was reading a novel... and... And... the name of the main character was Chandni. I'm not talking about the Chandni from the library." He did, he lied. For a girl he don't even know, he lied for her. "Lieutenant Min, do you know you don't know how to lie?" Ignoring the works marked up by his friend Lieutenant just headed towards his bed, keeping the tea in the balcony, unclean. He himself know that he can't start seeing things out of their place, dirty. He punished his servants several times for that but today he was the one to do it. "Was that novel about you?" John Walter picked the cup from the balcony and placed it on the tea table, where it usually rests. "MIND YOU LANGUAGE MR. WALTER. I maybe am your friend but before that I'm Lieutenant and being your friend doesn't stop me from hitting or even killing you." The latter was familiar with the outbursts of his friend. He knows about the soft spot his friend carries despite how cruel he can be. "Woah Woah Woah..." John raised both of his hands in surrender. "But Lieutenant, who better than me knows that you don't love Indian Novel, and main character being an Indian? I, being one and only one that provides you with novel, a britisher, know how much you hate Indians." He explained as he finnally hung his jacket and cap on the hanger. "Are you perhaps in love with Ms. Chitralekha?" Hearing her name, made his heartbeat race, his breath hitch. Ignoring the things he was feeling for the first time, unaware, he got up in annoyance and reached out to his friend. Holding his face tightly with one of his hand, "For a soldier his country, his motherland, his duty and his Her Honour is everything. There is nothing such as love that exist for me." he said with gritted teeth. He harshly left his face marking his fingers on his cheeks. He reached to the balcony and stood facing the mountains. "That too Love for an Indian who is daughter of a revolutionary." He scoffed. "Okay... Okay... But guess why did I disturbed you this early." John chuckled and reached out to the bag he brought with himself as Lieutenant turned towards the librarian, with now a questioning look replaced by the anger. "Sinclair Lewis sent me all these of her collection and without any second thought, I brought them for you." He kept the bag on the tea table. "I may leave now, it's almost the time for opening the library." He said and picked his jacket and cap, ready to leave when he heard, "Make sure to not to repeat the things you did today, I don't like terrorising you." He smiled still his back facing the owner of the voice who was now at the table with the bag in his hand, checking the books. "Sure sir." He said in a soldier tone and chuckled shaking his head. He was used to listen to the excuses made by his friend when all he wants to apologise. He is well aware of his soft spot.