Chapter 1: Moving

Start from the beginning

"Alright let's go." I said grabbing my last bag which contained toothbrush and other toiletries, a change of clothes and my Tigger pillow pet.

Phillip and I quickly hurried down stairs and out the door to the car.

"Uh where's the-"

"The moving van will meet us at home." Said Pappy taking my bag from me and Phillips in his broad strong hands.

Pappy was by no means a weak old man, he was 6'0 and muscled like a fit young man in his thirties. Which was odd considering he was 81 last month.

"You know you guys always talk about our new home and your old house and town and everything but I don't think I've ever heard you guys say exactly where it is." I said the thought occurring to me as I climbed into the back of our van. It was one of the huge vans with the leather seat in back turning into a bed and two swiveling declined chairs as car seats in front of a TV that hung from the cieling. According to GMC before it went out of business it was classified as a "conversion van".

All I knew was that Nanny and Pappy had always had some version of the conversion Van ever since they came to live with us and take care of us after dads suicide. It made it easier for the long road trips we'd take not to mention Phillips sports events.

"Oh have we never told you?" Asked Nan looking surprised.

"Nanny..." I complained as she pretended to feign ignorance.

"Our home town is called Lupus." Explained Pappy grinning at us as he made sure we buckled up.

"Lupus?" Questioned Phillip.

"Doesn't that mean Wolf in Latin?" I questioned.

"Correct! As expected You would know that after your wolf obsession in high school." Stated Nan with a chuckle.

"Hey I still think having a wolf as a pet would be cool, I just have resigned myself to the fact that bugging you twenty four seven about it isn't going to get me what I want." I replied making Pappy laugh.

"You really do take after me with that determination." Sighed Nanny but she smiled so I knew I wasn't in trouble.

"Who cares about what the name means where exactly is Lupus Village and how long is it going to take to get there! Im starving!" Complained Phillip.

"Weve only gone a block!" I protested as Pappy laughed and Nanny giggled. "Plus you are almost the entire box of pancakes and I made you scrambled eggs!"

"He's a growing boy Aurora his stomach is a bottomless pit there's no use trying." Chuckled Pappy.

"See he gets it! It's not like I asked to be hungry all the time!" Agreed Phillip. Before I could say anything back my stomach made a loud grumbling sound.

"Sounds like he's not the only one who's hungry." Laughed Pappy.

"Honestly you two weve barely even started! But I guess it can't be helped I am a bit peckish myself." Said Nanny "Let's go to the dinner one last time before we leave that way everyones full."

"Nan," complained Phillip "No one says peckish anymore."

"Am I a person?" Asked Nan.

"Yeah but-"

"Then I guess that makes me a someone now doesn't it?" She rebuffed at him. "Besides I wasn't the one who called the music on the radio 'groovy' the other day."

"He did what?" I burst out laughing as Phillip looked like he just wanted to open the door to the van and jump out.

"Alright now let's leave the poor boy alone." Chuckled Pappy as the van trundled into the old diners parking lot.

The poor waitress, she was my age and I recognized her as one of the cheerleaders from my class. She had been held back because she got pregnant after sleeping with one of the guys on the team. I think taking all of our orders and Phillip and Nannys very picky and specific tastes and having to redo two plates made her really wonder if she wanted her new baby or not.

"Actually Nan Phillip had a point in the car." I said as we all Dug into our food. He looked at me confused his mouth full of fried egg. "How far away is Lupus Village anyway?"

"Oh righ-"

"Please don't talk with your mouth full it's gross." Said Nanny to Phillip before I could. "Well I guess nows as good a time to tell you as any. Lupus Village is in New York."

"WHAT!"

Phillips and my paired reaction had everyone in the diner looking at us. The last time I had been so shocked was when they suddenly told us to pack on the year anniversary of mom and dads death and told us they were taking us to Disney World. We spent two weeks in Florida that time and it had been amazing.

But this, this came as a shock.

"Like New York City New York or..." Phillip trailed off.

"No and not Long Island New York either but the bigger part of the state. The place where your parents and Aurora lived until a year after you were born." Said Nan calmly. My mind was reeling. I had been four when we had left New York to live in Virginia. The only memory I had of the place was a giant fluffy wolf outside my window looking at me curiously. A memory I still had plain as day despite how much time had passed. It was the root of my obsession with wolves.

"You can't be serious I-were going back, to New York after all this time?" I asked. Nanny understood my expression. The reason mom and dad had left New York was a mystery to me but they had always said when I was older Id understand.

"Yes you're coming home finally." For some reason my heart felt light, an odd excitement and anticipation filled my gut.

"It's been so long." I murmured a smile finding its way across my face. Phillip looked like he was about to protest but upon seeing my acceptance of this he scowled and shoveled more food into his mouth sullenly.

"Im going back." I giggled more than slightly excited.

"I wonder Aurora do you still remember-well the legends of Lupus Village?" Asked Nanny. I scratched my brain for a moment as I swallowed my chicken finger.

"Well I didn't know it was about Lupus but mom used to tell me stories about wolves who could turn into humans. She said it was a legend from our old home. How the people there could change there form to that of a wolf. And a old tale about how once a human girl turned eighteen one of the male wolves would take her as his mate and change her if she was not already a wolf."

"You do remember. Im surprised she told you." Said Nanny surprised.

I shrugged "she didn't talk about it often it was usually when I asked about you guys or if I hugged her to tell me."

"Yeah because those stories are crazy." Said Lhillip rolling his eyes.

"Oh hush you and finish your food." Swatted Nanny swipping a piece of toast of his plate.

I was so excited, why I wasn't sure but I felt that finally my life was going to change. Everything was finally going to fall into place, maybe Id finally find out what my calling in life was going to be, or fall in love or something.

If I knew what was going to happen then I never would have made such light hearted dreams or banter with my family.

Thank you so much for reading. :) I hope you enjoyed it. In the next chapter she'll finally meet Luke so I hope you stick around. Please comment Id love to hear what you think. :)