Chapter 1: Moving

"Gillian!" I cried out to the girl walking past our house.

"No!" Whined the boy beside me trying to cover my mouth. "Why do you insist on doing this to me?"

"Because you're too much of a coward to ask her out yourself and if you don't do it now you'll never get the chance too again." I reminded him as I ducked away from his hand.

"Says the girl whose never had a boyfriend!" He retorted "And holding hands with Brandon in eighth grade and calling him your boyfriend doesn't count."

His words stung and I scowled. It wasn't like I didn't want a boyfriend or hadn't tried! It's not like I asked for all the guys I liked to see me as a friend or laugh at me! Jerk little brother!

I glared at him before aiming a kick at him as he tried to walk past with a box.

"Aurora!" Of course I was caught in the act.

"He-"

"I don't care! We're leaving in ten minutes and you still don't have all your stuff loaded up yet! Quit poking at your brother for not having the guts to tell her how she feels!" Ordered my grandmother. I shot Phillip a smug look. Yeah our parents named us after Sleeping Beauty. "Especially since you have no room to talk!"

I gagged before looking at her betrayed as Phillip called out "That's what I said!"

"At least I tried!" I retorted feeling hurt that even grams was turning on me.

"So-"

"She's got you there kiddo." Agreed my grandpa grinning coming around from behind the moving truck. Phillip scowled as I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Jesus Mary and Saint Joseph Aurora put that tongue back in your mouth and get your things already! Im done being nice! This is a new start for this family and I expect you-both of you to act your age when we get to our new home do you understand me?" The feeling of my grandmothers thumb and forefinger yanking on my ear so that I bent to the level of her waist made me grimace and flinch while Phillip swore in pain.

"Yes Nanny." "Sorry Nan's."

She let go of our ears and gave both of us a fiery glare. "Well! Get packing!"

We both scrambled back into the house. While my grandmother would never hit us she found better ways to scare or punish us into submission. Actually that wasn't true she had slapped me across the face one time after dad committed suicide and I said I was glad he was dead because he was "such a cowardly bastard if he left us here alone". Just thinking about it made my cheek hurt. But then again I had never seen Nan cry so much before and she had held me when I cried after she told me exactly why she had slapped me.

Nanny might be the kindest heart person I've ever known but never let that fool you. Inside that 5'6 thin frame was a hot blooded fighter with a tongue to match it. It must be her German blood, then again Pappy, my grandfather was a part Apachi but he was as calm and laid back as a teddy bear. They balanced each other out, a firecracker and a gentle breeze. Both with the kindest hearts of anyone I had ever met.

I hoped Id have a relationship like there's someday.

"Hurry up before Nan comes up here!" Like I said, if a almost fifteen year old boy was afraid of an old woman you knew she was fearsome. Than again Nanny, and Pappy even, barely looked a day older than fifty. It was weird they didn't look old enough to have kids that were married let alone grandkids one of who was old enough to have graduated high school last week.

Man it's weird to think I had graduated, I had no idea what I was going to do now.

Then again now wasn't the time to be worrying about the fact my future was vague without plans. Nan was going to kill me if I took any longer.