Chapter 4: Spy Games

John Bs POV
There's a moment in every kid's life when you feel like anything's possible. When you feel like you've got the total mojo. You could, I don't know, free-climb El Capitan, land on Mars, or, uh... get elected president. The whole world's there for the taking if you've got the sack to go for it. And then, when you least expect it, some Kook shows up and tells you there's no eternal mystery. And then all that talk about free-climbing and Mars and the president... bullshit. Magic gets cancer and dies.

Skylars POV

'It's not there' I mutter to myself walking into the cabin where JJ was behind the wheel. We had searched the Royal Merchant three times and we hadn't found a single sign that the gold would be there.

'Look, just... just pull the drone up' John B tells Pope walking away from the screen while another rumble of thunder sounds ahead of us.

'Shit'

'Look, we can do another pass. recharge the battery. We can... we can go back down' Pope says not giving up.

'We've done it three times. There's nothing there' JJ yells
'Shut up!' Kie yells
'What? It's true!' I yell back supporting JJ
'The gold could be buried. We don't know' Kie yells back at me
'If it was there, it would've been found on the metal detector, okay' I yell back
'Somebody beat us to it' John b says running his fingers through his hair.
'Or it was never there' I hear JJ mutter behind me as he turns on the engine.
After retrieving the drone we all head back to shore in complete silence. The storm probably wouldn't arrive at the OBX until tomorrow so when we got back the sun was shining, like nothing had happened. Once JJ docked the boat I got out and felt my phone buzz in my back pocket. I grabbed it out and opened my messages.

Evil Step mum 😈

Skylar, come home now, we are going shopping for your midsummers dress

You

Yep! I'll be home soon :)

I mentally groan as I send the fake happy text, remembering what Sarah told me yesterday.

'Sorry JJ I can't come back to your place, Rose is making me go Midsummers dress shopping' I tell JJ before following behind Kie to her car so she could drive me back.

'Oh come on Sky, do you really have to' he groans before wrapping his arms around my waist, his matching bracelet hitting mine. I quickly give him a squeeze before wiggling out of his grip and calling out to Kie to drive me home. 'Yes JJ, this is literally the one thing I pretty much have to do with my family, I promise I'll swing by right after' I yell out to him before shutting the passenger door behind me.

Time skip

'Ok good luck with the evil step mother' Kie says to me as I jump out of the car.

'Tnx K, I'll see you at the movie tonight' I say before closing the door and walking through the door. The second I do Rose emerges at the top of the stairs.
'Finally! Skylar' she says but her look of relief soon turns to disgust when she see's how dirty my hair is.

'Go upstairs and make yourself look presentable, you can keep the outfit but please fix your hair and apply a little bit of makeup' she orders and I roll my eyes, I knew there was no point in arguing with her. This wouldn't take forever, I literally had no energy left after the Royal Merchant disappointment and I wanted to go to the movies tonight with Kiara and the boys.

So I went upstairs and fixed my hair up and added some accessories to my outfit. Before I left I looked at myself and the mirror. 'God, I look so similar to my sister when I dress like a Kook' I think before leaving my room.