Chapter 2: The Lucky Compass

Start from the beginning

'Woah, woah slow down'

'I can't JJ, my father is going to come ask how I got shot and I don't think he'll like the idea that I was looking for buried treasure with my friends, that he already hates and we got jumped by two men who decided to shoot at us' I tell JJ. As he helps me up, pain shoots through my shoulder causing me to wince.

'I feel like I got 100 flu shots and I'm just starting to feel the aftermath' I continue to tell JJ who doesn't even react to my joke. Instead he keeps his hand in my good hand and looks ahead with a blank stare as we walk down the hallway to the reception. Once we're there I turn JJ's body so he can turn to look at me.

'JJ, I promise I'm fine, you can stop acting all mopey' I tell him but he avoids my eyes.

'No your not fine Skylar, you got shot, that's not normal and I could've saved you but I didn't, instead I just stayed on the ground of the boat like a coward while you and Kiara saved us' JJ told me, his voice breaking as he spoke.

'No, you did save me, who knows what might've happened if you didn't get me to the hospital on time, I might've bled out but you carried me into the hospital screaming for help' I tell JJ trying to stop him from feeling guilty. I grab his face as I speak, turning him to face me.

JJ finally turns to look at me, his expression serious

JJ finally turns to look at me, his expression serious. He stares into me and I stare back not really knowing what to say now. I feel something weird, faint but weird in my stomach but I don't get to address it because I hear my fathers voice echoing through the reception.

'Skylar Louise, Cameron, thank god your alright' I break eye contact with JJ and my dad carefully embraces me in a hug.

'Dad, I'm fine' I say and Ward lets go before turning to JJ and throwing him a rude look.

 'JJ can leave now, since he's the one responsible for my daughter getting shot' Ward says, staring JJ down

'JJ can leave now, since he's the one responsible for my daughter getting shot' Ward says, staring JJ down. I'm not shocked at my dad's comment. It was definitely not his fault but my dad loves having an excuse to throw shade at my friends.

'I'll see you later Skylar, I'll let everyone know your ok' JJ tells me before almost sprinting out of the hospital. 'Dad he's not responsible for me getting shot' I tell dad who just holds up his hand in my face. 'I don't want to here it Skylar' he tells me before walking over to the front desk to pay for the treatment.