For as long as he could remember, his life had been here, in New York. He had met her here during the summer between his freshman and sophomore years of college, when she had been helping her friend try to find a good apartment. He had bumped into her on the street and then had bought her a cup of coffee. She had been younger than him, but so incredible. She was here. And here had been perfect, or as perfect as he ever expected life to be. Their entire relationship had been like some kind of amazing dream. They had dated and in some whirlwind romance gotten married so quickly that his head should have been spinning but instead it just right. And married life had been even more perfect than dating and suddenly they had had their princess. Their little girl who had looked so much like them, and her eyes had been so happy when the doctors had placed their little girl in her arms. But instead of keeping the baby to herself, she had looked up at him, tears streaming down her cheeks, and had whispered to the baby that he was her daddy. In that second, he had fallen harder in love with her, been more in love than he had the ten minutes before she had given to their baby girl.

And now they were both gone and he was about to leave the only place they had ever been. He would have to walk out the door and never look back at what they had had here, how happy their home had always been. He had no idea how a person was supposed to do that. He didn't know how to start over when he would give anything to just go back in time.

"Derek, dear," his mom's soft voice cut into his thoughts and he pulled back quickly, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"In here," he called, wiping quickly at his cheeks.

"How..." Mom trailed off as she looked around the room. "Derek."

"Wh...what?"

"You're keeping all of that?"

"It's...it's hers."

"I know it is, dear. But she's...you can't keep all of her clothes."

"Of course I can. I have to."

"Why?" she asked softly.

"Because it's hers."

"We agreed on a few things. Just a few."

"This is a few," Derek nodded quickly, squeezing his eyes shut.

"What are you giving away?" she asked quietly and he felt her hand squeeze his hand tightly.

"I...well...things," he breathed.

"Derek..."

"I'm not taking all of it. Just this stuff."

"I know, Derek."

"Just...Mom..."

"I'm worried about you, Derek. You can't take all of this to Mark's home."

"Mark said I can bring what I want," Derek nodded.

"Of course he did," she nodded, standing up slowly and walking towards their closet. "Her wedding dress?"

"It was...Mom, she looked so beautiful."

"Of course she did. I've never seen a bride more lovely."

"She was perfect," Derek breathed.

"I'll take this home with me," Mom smiled softly. "I'll put it in the attic."

"But..."

"You don't need it in Seattle, Derek."

"But..."

"She doesn't need it, dear," she said gently. "It will be safe in the attic."

"Okay," Derek breathed. "Attic."