Stepping Up, Chapter 63

His throat clamped shut with a painful croak.

"He's back," Val said.

"You could just crush him," Craren said.

Tibs wished she did.

He'd forgotten how much pain his body was in while he was with Purity. Once he'd been sitting before her again, the pain of getting the shadow had ceased to be. He opened an eye and looked up. The door was only twice his height away.

He snickered, then stopped in pain. How had he been terrified of that fall? He'd thrown himself out of windows far higher in his attempts to have his audience with Air.

He struggled to his feet.

The room was more cavern, with uneven walls and floor. His thinking felt clearer than before his audience. Maybe his time there had allowed him to rest. Maybe being in Purity's presence had healed him a little? Although he was in too much pain still for that.

Regardless, he was happy he wouldn't have to deal with whatever surprises this room had. He used the handholds the unevenness provided and climbed back to the door and the opening.

"What do you think you're doing?" Craren demanded.

Tibs didn't answer until he'd pulled himself through and was catching his breath. "Leaving," he croaked, surprised his throat didn't hurt as much as he'd expected. Another effect of being in Purity's presence?

He used the door to stand.

"You can't just let him leave," Craren said.

"He passed the test," Val replied. There was a forcefulness to the neutrality of her tone and Tibs couldn't tell if she was hiding her anger or didn't want to show even a hint of pride. "He worked hard, Purity took him and judged him worthy. Who am I to pass judgment now?"

"The dungeon he's in. Come on, no one will know."

"How sure of that are you, Craren?" Val was quiet and Tibs was too tired to do more than put one foot before the other. If she broke her rules, there was nothing Tibs could do to stop her. "Do you think Rangar expected anyone to mind what he did? Until they came and killed him?" She hadn't emphasized 'them' like Ganny did, but Tibs had the sense they were the same people.

"He was out of control. He wasn't listening to you anymore. If they hadn't stopped him, his creatures would have been unleashed on the world."

"But how did they know he was about to do that? We didn't tell them. Sparky didn't, not the way he felt about Rangar. Do you think he told anyone else?"

Craren was slow to answer. "No. He didn't trust anyone but you, and that's only because of your bond."

Craren and Val's voices faded as he walked, as if they stayed behind, discussing the other dungeon.

The hall remained a hall, and when Tibs fell unconscious, he didn't wake to screams, just the pains and aches of his body, and not feeling any more rested. The dungeon didn't stop him or help. Val didn't even offer food. The idea of eating made Tibs sick.

The trip back to daylight was shorter than that to his audience. It had to be, not that Tibs was sure of anything by the time the point of light was stronger than the dungeon's own.

Then he was outside, and the brightness blinded him. Arms closed around him, and he didn't care what they intended to do with him. Maybe they'd figured out he wasn't one of them and they would—

"I've got you," A man whispered.

A cell would have a cot where he could sleep properly. He'd take that.