A Mate For Comfort

Start from the beginning

"I don't know, Mate. I feel so weird. Sometimes, I wonder why I have to go through a lot at a very young age. I just wonder why me?" tears filled up her eyes as she explained. Conan stared at her, placing a hand on her jaw. She looked sad and her temperature was warm compared to his.

"We can not be happy every day. There's always a part of us that would be down. With fear and anxiety of tomorrow that we do not know." Conan clarified. His thumb wiped out Lilah's tear-stained face. Soft moans escaped her lips through the suppressed sound of hiccups.

"We don't know the future. That itself is the level of anxiety. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that faith will keep us going with calmness. We are half human, half beast, Lilah. Nothing is normal in our lives, nothing."

"My parents live a perfect life." She sniffed softly at the words, stopping the tears. "Although it's not all beautiful, I want to help them. I want to fulfill their dreams and be there for both of them. I'm the only one left for them now and I feel so useless."

"Shh!" Conan placed his hand on her lips. "You're unique just the way you are, okay? Nobody is perfect after all. You don't have to worry about everything. It's not in your place to judge destiny, my love. Let's go for a walk outside."

Lilah held onto his hands, and he helped her out of bed. She was wearing a simple round-neckline single and Jean shorts.

Taking a step outside, the gentle breeze blew through the lovers. Lilah placed her head on his shoulder as they stepped out. The night gave a fresh air and Lilah felt a little relieved now that Conan was here by her side.

"Um, give me a minute. I left my phone in my car." He told her while she waited for him in the distance.

Standing alone in the darkness, a passerby jerked and snatched her phone. "Hey! That's mine!!" she called, immediately running after the guy.

Although it was dark, she could see him. He had dirty blond hair that was unkept and green sparkling eyes that looked greedy. Lilah picked up a stone and threw it at him. He ducked and continued running. Lilah wouldn't stop, she ran after him.

The guy was faster because she was feeling down; she wasn't strong enough but she could meet up with him. Suddenly, he stopped. Catching heavy breaths. Then two other guys came from the pavement, holding her by both arms.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Lilah snapped, knowing it must be planned.

"Finally, we have Wulfric's only daughter to ourselves. I hope your dad could pay a good ransom for you."

"Get off me." She pulled away from their grip. They clenched her tightly, not letting go.

Looking at the guys behind. They looked built and ready. Their tobacco breath lingered in the air as they crackled out a malicious laughter.

"I said get off me!" Lilah struggled once more, to no avail.

The guy with dirty blonde hair, who seemed to be their leader, wore a wide toothy smile at her while stepping forward. He deepened her phone into the side pocket of his ragged jeans and halted right in front of her. The attacker was three inches taller than her. He grabbed her jaw, and she flinched.

Disgusted by his presence.

Lilah glared at him, trying to let out her wolf, but it wasn't coming. Although she's 23 years old, Lilah still finds it difficult to transform on her own will. It only gets easier under the full moon.

"Grrr!" she growled at him and he busted into an unexpected laugh. Others joined. It looked like watching a cat meow.

They were having fun with Lilah. And this was humiliating for her.