The Death to a Dear Friend

Start from the beginning

"I love you ma."

"I love you too sweets, goodnight," I left her bed, going to close the door behind me. Next was Pepa's room. I entered her room and instantly heard someone shuffling under Pepa's bed.

"Hmm, I wonder, is Elana in your room Pepa?" I asked, putting a hand on my hip.

"Ma! Please, can she stayyy! She needs to tell me about-" Her voice was muffled by Elana's hand that had come out of hiding.

"He's no one!" She said, bright red.

"I see, well, I guess you two could have another sleepover, just promise me you won't stay up too long," I said, tucking them both into bed and giving them their night kisses.

"Goodnight girls, remember, not up too long!" I said, closing the door behind me and moving to say goodnight to Patricia. She wasn't in her room so I went to check the bathroom where she only had one arm through her night dress. I helped put the dress over her head and I carried her to her room. I tucked her in and kissed her forehead where a crescent moon birthmark was displayed. I remembered Daniel, the dragon who had bonded with me when I was younger. I wonder where he was these days and how he was doing.

"Ma?" Patricia asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Yes Angel?" I asked.

"I'm not really tired, can you tell me a story?" She asked. I took a seat on the edge of her bed.

"Let's see, a story you say? What about the story about a dragon who saves a girl from her father and a bad prince?"

"But you've told me that one so many times!" She said, yawning and falling back into sleep.

"You would think I have, but you never stay up long enough to hear the end." I laughed, pulling the blankets up to her chin. I left to say goodnight to Carmen.

"I don't want her to go! I'll miss her! She says not to be sad, but I can't help it!" I hear faint voices as I approach Carmen's room.

"Carmen?" I call when I get to her door. Dolores answers the door when I knock. I see Carmen crying through the door.

"She's gone..." Dolores whispers. I put my hands to my mouth to hide my gasp.

"How did she-?" I barely get out.

"Heart attack, she came to see Carmen before her spirit left." Dolores patted my back, leaving me alone with Carmen. I went to her side and scooped her up in a hug.

"Ma, I didn't want her to leave, but I said it was ok!" She sobbed, hiding her small face in my arms.

"She wanted to go, you knew that, she wants to be with her loved ones up there," I said softly, whipping my own tears.

"But aren't I her loved one too?" She asked.

"Of course you are, she stayed as long as she could, but when you leave this world you'll be able to see her again, don't worry, this life isn't forever, but that one is,"

"But I don't want to leave you or pa!"

"We'll be coming with you dear, don't you worry, that's not until a long time."

"How many years?"

"Plenty, and if you eat your greens maybe even 100!" I tickled her tummy and she giggled, sniffing up her tears.

"Maa!!! Stopp!" She laughed, squirming around in my arms. I let her go.

"Ok, ok. I need to go take care of some things, will you be ok to go to sleep alone, or do you want to sleep with one of your sisters?" Carmen thought for a second.

"Can I sleep in your bed ma?" I nodded.

"I can't come into bed for a while though,"

"I know, I just like your bed," She said, grabbing her stuffed rabbit before grabbing onto my hand and leading me to Camilo's room. I helped her up into bed where I tucked her in.

"I can leave one candle on if you want."

"Yes please. Goodnight ma, I love you,"

"I love you too dear, goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!" I said, leaving the door open a crack.

"Dolores, psst, where are you?" She came out of her room.

"Can you and Luisa take care of the grave? knock on some of the townspeople's doors too, we can have the funeral tomorrow." Dolores nodded and left.

"Oh, Y/n, can you keep an ear out for my kids, one might wake up for water,"

"Yep, don't worry, I'm just going to help clean up dinner," I went to the kitchen where Camilo was cleaning the last of the puddles of water.

"Hey, are they all in bed?"

"Yeah, and Dolores said the sweet lady who Carmen visits passed away, so there's going to be a funeral tomorrow." Camilo put down the towels and wrapped me up in a hug.

"I'm sorry," He said, kissing my head.

"She was getting old, and she wanted to go, she's in a better place now," I assured, more to myself than him.

"How is Carmen?"

"She's sleeping in our bed,"

"Ok, you can go up there and go to bed early if you need, I've got the cleaning handled. Plus, Mami's helping with the dishes, so I'll be up soon too."

"Sounds good," I said. Giving him a quick kiss, I left to go back to my room.

"Where's mami?" A boy with curly hair asked. I looked over to see one of Dolores's boys standing in the hallway.

"She's just helping out some townspeople, do you need some water?" I asked. The boy nodded. I patted his head and went to get him a cup from the bathroom.

Sitting in the middle of the bathroom floor was... Camila? She was stacking the cups and then punching them down. I watched her for a minute, wondering what in the world she was doing. Dolores's kid came to watch as well.

"What's she doing?"

"I'M TEACHING THESE BABY DONKEYS HOW TO DANCE! These silly donkeys, they keep getting the pyramid wrong! And then I have to start all over!" She said, sounding not fully awake. I doubled over laughing.

"She's sleepwalking," I told the little boy. He started laughing too.

"Can we have one of your baby donkeys, he's thirsty," I said. Camila looked in terror at us.

"Is he a vampire?!" I shook my head.

"No, he's just... um-"

"DONKEY! GET BACK HERE! YOU NEED TO BUST SOME MOVES!" She stuck a cup in her mouth and then proceeded to run out of the bathroom chasing an invisible baby donkey. I got the boy some water and he went back to bed and I went to check on Camila. She was fast asleep in bed with her bitten cup. I threw the blanket over top of her and then went to go to sleep. It had been a long day, like usual.

(Thank you so much for reading, I had a lot of fun with this chapter! Have a great rest of your day/night! Love ya!)

- Author out! <3

Word count: 1731