Chapter 3: Holly, Jolly

Start from the beginning

(Y/N): [awkward chuckle] I knew I shouldn't have asked you that. Just...try to pretend I didn't just ask you that. You want me to pull over? I'll pull over--

Nancy: (Y/N)!

(Y/N): Hm?

Nancy: It's fine. Calm down.

(Y/N): Calming down.

(There's a silence between the two until Y/N breaks it.)

(Y/N): I'm sorry. Despite being friends with Steve, as you can tell, I'm not too good at talking to the opposite sex.

Nancy: I think you're being too hard on yourself. Steve's told me the opposite about you.

(Y/N): He has?

Nancy: He says you're quite the charmer.

(Y/N): Do you think I'm charming, Wheeler?

Nancy: On occasion, O'Connell.

(Y/N): I'll remember that.

Nancy: How are you friends with him?

(Y/N): Who? Tommy? I am not friends with him. He is Steve's friend. I just tolerate him.

Nancy: I meant Steve.

(Y/N): Oh?

Nancy: You two seem so different but get along so well. Like, you're good at school and he's not.

(Y/N): He tries. Granted, he'd rather go after you. I should really get him to study with me.

Nancy: Well?

(Y/N): Well...that is a story for another time.

(He pulls up to her house.)

Nancy: Thanks for the ride.

(Y/N): My pleasure. See you at school tomorrow.

Nancy: Yeah, you too.

(She exits the car & closes the door. He watches her walk to the front door.)

(Y/N): She's too good for him.

(He starts driving down the street. As he does, he hears some coyotes howling. So rolls down his window, sticks his head out, &...)

(Y/N): [howls] Ha, I couldn't help myself.

The Next Day

(Steve meets Nancy at her locker.)

Steve: Hey.

Nancy: Hey!

Steve: Is everything okay?

Nancy: Yeah! Yeah, totally. I just...I feel like everyone's...staring at me.

Steve: Oh, I didn't...I didn't tell anyone.

Nancy: I know. Of course not. But what about, like, Tommy, Carol, (Y/N), and them?

Steve: You're being paranoid. Especially about (Y/N). He'd never do something like that.

Nancy: I'm sorry.

Steve: No. No, it's cute. Hey...I had a good time.

Nancy: Yeah. Me too.

(They kiss. Nancy arrives at her class to see Barbara isn't sitting next to her. Cut to the cafeteria during lunchtime. Nancy makes her way to the table where Steve, Y/N, Tommy, & Carol are sitting.)

Tommy: That's why science doesn't make any damn sense to me.

(Y/N): [mouthful] I bet a lot of things don't make sense to you.