Someone starts walking from the back of the classroom, to the front, their military grade boots echoing across the floor.

It's a familiar face.

Hangman, Playboy, and Coyote recognize him as the man they threw out of the bar yesterday. They look away, suddenly finding the floor or ceiling more interesting than our class.

Before Admiral Bates gives the floor to my father, he introduces him, "I give you Captain Pete Mitchell, call sign, Maverick."

"Good morning." Maverick greets. His eyes linger on the people he knows, but he continues with what he's sent here to do. He holds up the F-18 Instruction Book in the air. "This book contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft, I'm assuming you know this book inside and out."

"Forwards and backwards." I whisper in Phoenix's ear.

Some shout out their answer, while others just nod in agreement.

What my father does next, none of us will ever forget.

He drops it into the trash next to him.

"So does the enemy." Maverick emphasizes.

Boy are we in for it now.

Our instructor continues, "But what the enemy doesn't know, is your limits, and I intend to find those limits. Test them and push them beyond. So today, we'll start with what you think you know." He looks out at all of us, wondering who will be up to the task. "Show me what you're made of."

He dismisses the class, and we get ready to fly out.

★★★

We're all walking outside, making our way to our planes, when I've lost Phoenix to Bob, and find myself walking next to Rooster.

It's out of habit, I guess, but neither of us decide to notice or say anything about it.

My father is walking behind all of the Top Gun graduates, when he calls out "Rooster!"

Of course he'll talk to him first, instead of me, his actual daughter.

We all know I was a mistake.

Neither of us stopped to acknowledge him.

"Bradley," Maverick continues, "Lieutenant Bradshaw!"

Finally, after my father demands his attention, I kept walking after Rooster stops to talk to him.

It was none of my business anyways.

★★★

Right before I'm totally strapped into my cockpit, someone decides to climb up the ladder.

My father.

Probably after his argument with Bradley.

I ignore him, finishing my straps and putting on my gloves.

Out of nowhere, my dad says, "Play nice."

Oh he wants to pretend like everything's normal? Two can play at this game.

"Me? Always." I drawl.

"I mean it." Maverick presses.

"No promises. If any of those boys mess with me, I'll mess with them right back."

"Just don't get in trouble." He says, looking worried.

I've never seen him like this, how hard was our mission?

"Like you?" I tease him.

"I always get out of it." He says, Iceman is always there ready to save and vouch for him.

"And back in a cockpit. Believe me dad, I remember," I say a little coldly. He didn't think we were just going back to normal, right?

Maverick was never really there for me growing up, there was a good time where I spent most of my nights at the Bradshaw's, having sleepovers with Bradley and doing nails with Carole, and singing out hearts out at the piano.

Even though Goose was gone, he still lived on in their memories. He was celebrated for his life, his sacrifice and the man he was. Goose
wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I shake my head, as my shield folds down, and I make my way to the runway, ready to be in the air.