"You need backup?" Tim asked, "I brought my suit."

Dick opened his mouth to say 'sure' and surprised even himself when he hesitated. He didn't usually turn down his family's help, but...Perseus was already invested, so it would probably be best if he took her along. After all, she lived in Bludhaven so it would be easier for her to stay involved if the investigation took longer than expected. Yeah, that made the most sense, he rationalized.

"Nah, I'm good," is what Dick said instead.

Tim tilted his head, clearly suspicious by the change in heart so Dick kicked his shins from under the table.

"Eat your food," Dick scolded.

Tim dropped it and sighed, cracking open his container and maneuvering his fork around the vegetables to get the rice.

LINEBREAK

Dick convinced his brother to walk him the few hundred feet back to the station because he 'couldn't bear to make the journey alone' but really, he just wanted to spend as much time with him as possible. He had barely even made it through the door when Detective Rohrbach materialized in front of him.

"Good, you're back," she greeted crisply, choosing not to address the lingering teenager, "Someone reported a mugging, alley on 14th and 6th. Victim's fine but you should get there asap."

Amy was gone as soon she appeared, rushing off to take care of other fires that required her attention. Dick straightened his tie and turned back to his brother.

"That offer for backup still on the table?" he asked, smirking.

Tim groaned but followed him to his patrol car anyway.

"Technically, this goes against police protocol," Tim pointed out, unhelpfully, as he buckled himself into the passenger seat.

Dick turned his key in the ignition and glanced out the rear window as he backed himself out of the parking space. When the car was facing the proper direction, he flipped on the sirens and sped out of the lot.

"Remind me who here is the officer, little brother," he teased, weaving through the cars that had pulled to the side of the road for them.

"Remind me who here has actually read the handbook," Tim shot back, needing the seatbelt and the handle on the ceiling to steady himself.

"Rude," Dick muttered, "I read most of it."

They arrived at the scene in a matter of minutes, and Dick parked his car at the curb, turning off the sirens but leaving the lights flashing.

"Come on," he gestured for Tim to step out, "I gotta lock the car."

Tim gave him a disbelieving look but understood that he couldn't leave an unlocked police car in the middle of the city, even in the daytime.

Dick heard a groan of pain come from the alleyway and immediately pulled out his gun. He began to creep down the street.

"I thought that lady said the victim was okay," Tim said, narrowing his eyes.

He followed a few feet behind Dick, body on full alert.

The alley wasn't exactly dark but the tall buildings on either side cast shadows down into the street. Dick approached swiftly, to get a clearer picture and was stopped short by a figure crouching on the ground. He had his back to the wall and was clutching his nose, red seeping through his fingers.

When he heard Dick, he removed his hands and looked up. His eyes widened and Dick hid a grimace at the state of the man's face. Dick didn't want to make a snap judgment, but the man looked like the cut and dry image of a thug, a beefy stature just barely hidden by nondescript dark clothing. Also, more obviously, a black ski mask lay at his feet.