Chapter Ten: The Wetlands

Start from the beginning

Link then pulls out his bow and draws an arrow, his stance is perfectly relaxed, his aim already set. Before the Lizalfos can take one more pitiful step in retaliation, he quickly releases the arrow, a direct headshot.

I pump my fist in the air celebrating Link's victory. He looks over to me and his once cold eyes soften when his eyes meet mine.

"Not bad!"

He looks as though he's chuckling and ruffles his hair. My horse begins to get restless after not soothing her enough, I hear her snorting through her nose swaying her body side to side, I attempt to pet her mane to calm her down but nothing is working. She then begins to stand on her back legs whining loudly.

She's clearly upset, but about what?

I manage to barely hold on to the saddle, I look over to Link for his assistance, his eyes that were just barely relaxed are now filled with horror, as he begins sprinting towards me.

Then...I hear it, a mixture of mechanical beeping sounds, the sound of something charging. A sound I know all too well, I look behind me and see my nightmare.

"A guardian..."

I look to my chest and see a red dot pointed to me, I duck down and whip the reins–

"HYAH!"

Little One dashes off just in time before the laser goes off. I barely graze it, but it startles her and she bucks me off, kicking me in the chest. I skid on the ground, landing head first in the shallow water.

I was wondering...

What could have caused such destruction to such a small, isolated village. The geography around this village essentially gives anyone living within these surrounding hilltops only one way out.

People living here would have no chance against an aerial attack or even a high ground assault.

The Guardians...

Only they could have caused total obliteration to a small village, the holes through the roofs and the charred roofs. The toppled houses...they are the only things that could have had such power of destruction at such high ground. All the people who lived here...I'm sure barely any survived. I couldn't save these people, and now I am here face to face with one of their killers who's been stomping on their graves for a whole century.

...

Get...up...

Links POV:

What is she doing? Why is she walking straight towards it?

I'm going as fast as my legs will take me, I see it's aiming for her again.

Think Link.

What should I do? I could shoot it, but I can't risk missing even a little. Why is she taking off her bow? Does she intend to shoot it? She draws back, her face gives away her pain. I can see blood starting to seep through the gauze on her hand, and tears seeping through her eyes.

She shoots at it and the arrow just dings right off it. With no hesitation, she quickly drew another arrow, missing once again. The whirring sound of the laser being charged is getting faster. It's about to fire.

I'm so close, there's only one thing left for me to do, I run ahead of Zelda guarding her whole body, and barely parry the incoming laser blazing towards us. It's enough to stun the guardian and I've caught up now, quickly using a spin attack while it briefly cools down from the blast.

Slicing off one of its mechanical arms. I don't stop slashing, taking full advantage of its stunned body, I feel the Master Sword pulsing in my hand. My attacks are coming down so strong I feel like I'm tearing through its arms like its paper. It begins to try to scurry away from me trying to maintain some distance, but I am so...