07

All in all, yesterday went surprisingly well, except for that one little thing. The number with Rooster, Bradley Bradshaw, which turned into a daredevil flying scenario, had been the only outlier. To call this a minor thing, actually resulted only from the fact that this was Maverick, a thing that was also not normal, because with anyone else, such an action, would not be called such. In the past, the man had done all sorts of things, so that this was now called a trifle.

"Before you say anything," Pete beat the brunette to the punch, who looked at him with an 'I told you so' look, "I got it."

"He didn't," Admiral Bates contradicted the captain, looking from him to Kim, "Otherwise, he wouldn't have made the motion to lower the altitude. Seconds after he was told in no uncertain terms that the five thousand foot altitude, was not a rule but a law and would not be changed."

"Wow," at that Kim didn't sound surprised, much more of a 'why am I not surprised now' wow, "That's a new level of 'how much can I get away with before I get fired' even for you? Don't screw it up over things you don't personally like, and from what I've heard, if you screw it up now, it's over for good. I know what Cain said to you."

"I get it, Kimmie." at those words, Bates and Kim exchanged a look with each other that revealed neither was greatly convinced by what Maverick was about.

For today..... For today. How it looked tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and the days to come, remains to be seen.

•●•

The longer Kim put off the inevitable, the less peace she would ultimately have. After all, a plaster was torn off the body with a jerk, so that it was over quickly, in order to have peace afterwards, not to have to think about it further and to be able to continue without stress.

"Admiral," Kim closed the door behind her and stood next to the chair in front of the desk, "Will you be quick? There's a briefing."

"Why are you here, Kim?" but Kim continued to look at Simpson without responding to his question, causing him to look out the window, "I would make again and again, the same decision. No one could have known it would come to this. You wanted an assessment, I gave it to you...."

"It's not about the decision or what happened, it's about what followed, Beau," the Admiral was cut off by Kim in a brash tone, "Your behavior afterwards. This constant 'you wanted an assessment; a second opinion' is the reason. As if it's a free pass on my decisions.... As if you were trying to ease your conscience with it, which you don't need. You don't need to reproach yourself. It was me. You also say that you would always decide the same way. Let the past finally be the past. That's not where our lives are. May I go? I have something to prepare."

At the same moment that Simpson uttered a 'fine with me,' Kim didn't need to be told a second time. Immediately she went to the door, opened it and heard in the hallway, just before closing, that she should not rely too much, on Maverick.

///////////

English is not my first language, so dialogues will differ from the OV variant, because I do not know the movie in English, so would me at the point if you write me the original text in the comments.