track 9. run riot

when steve woke up the next morning the spot next to him was empty letting his mind wander to the most upsetting thoughts. he got up and got dressed putting on eddie's shirt once again, it was comforting it smelled just like his boyfriend. when he walked downstairs he was shocked to find that not only was eddie still there, he was...cooking?

or at least attempting to, he burnt the toast but everything else looked pretty good considering. when he messed up again eddie let out a frustrated sigh "shit! how hard can this be"

he was going to wait for him to notice he was standing there but his little outburst made steve laugh. "you're sweet, were you trying to make us breakfast?

he showed steve the half burnt food, scratching the back of his neck anxiously.

"well i was trying to, i guess i'm not very good at this"

he felt bad for his boyfriend but he appreciated the thought of it. steve kissed his cheek before taking the pan away from eddie. "i can help? we can do it together"

eddie protested at first saying steve deserved to just rest while he cooked for him but after a while he found it comforting for them to do it together. steve hummed along to the sound of the radio, modern love by david bowie was playing and when they finished cooking he started to softly sing along. which turned into the two of them dancing together in steve's kitchen, stumbling over eachothers feet but laughing every time they did. their lips just barely brushed together, before steve pulled away to grab two plates because the food was ready.

"i didn't take you as such a romantic"

"yeah? well i never expected to be slow dancing to bowie with eddie munson"

they ate in comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's presence. it was saturday and steve didn't have work and normally on saturday's steve hung out with robin but he considered calling her to ask to reschedule to sunday. he just wanted to spend time with eddie, they hadn't gotten a full day together just for the two of them yet.

"so...i was thinking, can i take you on a date?"

eddie smiled and rolled his eyes playfully just to mess with steve, holding his hand from across the table.

"is steve harrington asking me out?"

"you know it babe" he winked at him and cringed immediately after he did, leaving them both laughing so hard they didn't even hear steve's parents walk in.

they looked at the pair confused, they had seen eddie around before but they never expected steve to be hanging out with him. so when steve turned to see his mom standing across from the table, he panicked.

"oh um...i thought you weren't going to be home until next week?"

she set her stuff down looking back and forth between the two boys at the table. "tell your friend to go home, we need to talk"

eddie wanted to scream, he wasn't just steve's friend and he didn't like the tone she used it made him afraid of what might happen to his boyfriend. but he accepted that he had to leave, grabbing his stuff and whispering to steve that he would see him later.

leave it to someone who had it out for steve to tell his parents that their son was bisexual. luckily they had no idea he was dating eddie, or else he assumed he would've been getting half of the beating he was receiving from his dad. he called him every name he could come up with, every slur that exists. until steve was just about unconscious on the floor, and as much as his mom hated to see that happen she just watched in fear as her only son got the life knocked out of him.

no amount of medicine could make his head stop throbbing the pain was unbearable. it even hurt to cry but that's all he felt he could do right now, he cried himself to sleep hoping his parents would be gone in the morning.

but they weren't. not only were they still home, they were acting like nothing had happened and calmly asking steve about how his week had been. he only gave them simple one word answers, barely eating any of his breakfast. he felt sick..just yesterday at this time he and eddie were dancing together where steve's parents stood. he was supposed to go on a date that day, why did everything have to be so ruined? he didn't want to be home anymore.

he mumbled something about going to robins house because even though she was gay his parents were in denial and thought they were going to end up together. he put on his denim jacket, sighing at the sight of himself in the mirror.

he looked like a wreck to put it simply.

he grabbed his car keys, avoiding his parents as he walked out the door but his mom managed to yell "stay safe son! we love you!"

well that's just bullshit love didn't equal beating someone to the point they couldn't see straight. he knew what love was, and love to him was eddie. he technically didn't lie about going to see robin, he stopped by her house first and she screamed when she saw him.

"STEVE holy shit what happened to you? you need to clean those wounds" she grabbed him by the arm and pulled him inside before he even had the chance to get a word out.

he sat on the side of robins tub as she gently cleaned the wounds on his face, and while she did he explained what happened. about how eddie had stayed the night, finding him trying to make breakfast and then dancing in the kitchen together. that they had planned a date just before steve's parents got home.

"so basically my dad beat the shit out of me, said i'm a disappointment and all that"

she put a bandaid on one of the cuts on his face, sighing while she grabbed even more bandaids.

"eddie called me last night, he was worried sick about you. do you want me to drive you to his place? leave your car here so if your parents drive past they'll think you're with me"

he nodded trying to ignore the pain that he still felt all over. really he needed to go to the hospital, he was sure he had a broken rib or something but he wanted to see his boyfriend and to tell him that he's okay. well, not okay but he's alive and that's all that mattered.

the two of them drove to eddie's trailer, listening to a mixtape that eddie had made for steve before they were even considered friends.

/ im so sorry i promise steve will be fine