track 2. rocket

"helloooo? earth to steve? are you there?" eddie sighed, pacing around the small area the phone cord would reach. he knew it was a long shot, the two having not spoken in a while and all. within reason, eddie had every right to be nervous. he hadn't told steve where he moved, or gave him his new number but still was upset by the fact they hadn't spoken.

"yeah yeah i'm here munson, what do you want?" he sighed, hating to hear how annoyed steve sounded but he guesses he deserves it

"sooo....are you free tonight? i totally understand if not, i mean fuck man i haven't been around enough to e.." he would've rambled on and on if given the chance, if it weren't for steve cutting him off mid sentence. "eddie, cmon man i was just about to go home, robin and i were just about to leave"

he looked over at the small stack of records on his bed, thinking that it was now or never "i know you don't know shit about music butttttttt....new def leppard record came out yesterday, haven't listened to it yet, figured i better show you some good stuff eventually? if you don't mind coming over, i'll tell you my address" he sounded nervous, hoping to get an answer sooner than later.

on the other end, robin glared at steve waiting for an explanation as to why he was so fidgety and blushing like he had a highchool girl crush "sure...why not? hold on let me get something to write it down on" he grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, listening carefully as eddie told him the address of the new trailer park. before steve could get another word in, eddie managed to quickly say "cool! see you tonight man" before hanging up as fast as his hands would let him.

robin tried to steal a glance at the paper, but her attempts failed "cmon steve!!! what's the big deal? get a girls digits?" he simply shook his head. "well what is it then? you're all red, it's hilarious"

he handed the paper over to her, not helping her confusion "dude, i don't know where this is? help me out here" she hopped up on the counter next to him, hoping to get her best friend to spill his secrets.

he looked down at the paper, hands shaking. "eddie called..." his voice sounded small, and he hated how those words coming out of his mouth made robin gasp. "he wants me to come over?..rob i don't know, i haven't spoken to the guy since last year"

"so? clearly you want to go see him. wait! i'd that what your little spiel was about earlier? the whole "robin im totally gay" speech?" he shot her a disapproving look, which almost shut her up but all she could do was laugh.

"i'll go, what's the worst that could happen?"

"you fall desperately in love with eddie munson and he doesn't reciprocate and tells you that you, steve harrington, are actually the freak"

"robin!!!!" he nearly shoved her off the counter, just for saying that.

"what?!! you asked what's the worst that could happen im just telling you!!!!"

"not helping...i should go, i don't want to get there late"

he hopped off of the counter, fixing his shirt and his hair with a sigh. "how do i look?"

robin followed him out the door, only playfully messing with him. she just genuinely wanted to help steve figure himself out, and hoped going to see eddie would make things better for him in some way. "like you're about to go kiss boys?" he rolled his eyes, and unlocked his car that was parked right next to hers.

"boy...not boys, just one, im kidding!!! you know i'm joking robin im not going to kiss him!!!" now it was her turn to roll her eyes, wishing him good luck before she drove away leaving him to sit in his car and process his thoughts for a while. it was already starting to get dark and steve honestly had no idea where eddie lived. not even in the slightest, but as he started to drive he felt way less anxious and more just excited and nervous. the little piece of paper he wrote his address on was only slightly helpful, since it was too dark to see it.

yet as he approached the soft glow of street lights surrounding a little trailer park he knew he was in the right place. it was much nicer than the last one, and hopefully no evil wizards killing kids this time. though it still gave him the creeps to be somewhere so similar to where everything went down that spring break. he stopped the car, double checking the address written on the paper just to be sure he was at the right place. he checked his hair in the mirror, fixing it one last time before sighing and getting out of the car.

steve stood silent in front of the door for what felt like ages, wondering if he should knock or not. he felt so anxious that he was afraid it would bubble over and he would be so scared he would drive away and never speak to eddie ever again. but that's not what he did, he pushed his nerves aside and gently knocked on the door.

it took eddie a few minutes to open the door, and he looked a little shocked more than steve was expecting. eddie didn't look all that different from the last time he had seen him, his hair was a tiny bit longer and in place of his hellfire club shirt he was wearing a ripped up dio shirt. he didn't have his rings on, and his hair was a bit damp, he had just gotten out of the shower and wasn't expecting steve to be there so early.

"oh hey!!! you're super early dude, wasn't expecting it man" he laughed, trying to pretend he wasn't nervous from how steve was looking at him.

"i wasn't sure when you wanted me to be here um....are you busy? i can come back later"

"no it's okay! are you gonna stand out there forever or are you going to come inside?"  he walked away from the door, leaving steve to awkwardly close the door behind him. he looked around the house, noticing that it was a lot cleaner than the other trailer. it was covered in band posters, since eddie's uncle was never home he let him do whatever with the place.

"this is nice...no creepy murder vibes" steve followed eddie into his room, smiling when the other boy laughed a little bit at his joke. "yeah yeah please don't end up on my ceiling" he sat down on his bed, grabbing the record off of the small stack.

"is that it?" he looked at the album curiously, noticing how bright it was and how it didn't seem exactly like something eddie would normally listen to but he didn't say that out loud. eddie must've read his mind or something, because right before he was about to put the needle down he said "i know, doesn't seem like something i'd listen to right harrington?" and sat down next to him on his bed
"no it's just..huh, this is actually kinda good?" he laid down looking up a the ceiling, pay attention to the lyrics and everything. he didn't expect to love it this much, but he found himself humming along to the songs he just now was hearing the words to.

he didn't realize how long he had zoned out, until he saw eddie looking over at him. as soon as steve turned towards him he quickly looked away, pretending he wasn't even paying attention. they stayed in somewhat comfortable silence for a few minutes, until the fourth track started. steve paid way too much attention to the context of the song, and the way he realized the silence between them could've been mistaken for tension.

he tried to push those thoughts away, knowing that could get him in trouble if he thought too much about it but little did he know that eddie was sneaking little glances at steve the whole duration of the song.

/ sorry!!! promise i'll get to more boyfriend stuff soon, give them some time to realize they're in love or something