track 8. dont shoot shotgun

much to steve's disappointment eddie didn't stay the night, he had to pick up the kids and apologized just about a thousand times. steve assured him it was okay and that he could make it up to him, but it really hurt to be apart from him.

he couldn't sleep that night, tossing and turning all night and now it was 3am and steve was crying. what if this failed like him and nancy did? she told him he had been a horrible boyfriend and that's why she basically cheated on him. what if eddie would eventually think the same? and as much as steve didn't want to he felt like distancing himself from him. he loved him but love had a bad habit of getting steve hurt, and he didn't want to have to go through that again.

so he skipped work that day, and stayed in bed as long as he could before he eventually got up because he felt disgusting just laying there. he missed eddie so badly, sadly he hadn't heard the phone ringing because he was in the shower and trying to drown out his own thoughts.

if only he had known the call was from eddie, who was anxiously sitting on the counter of family video next to robin anxiously redialing steve's number every time he didn't pick up.

"shit robin what did i do! i must've done something wrong" he sighed and finally put the phone down, holding his face in his hands which muffled the fact that it sounded like he was about to cry.

as much as robin appreciated steve, considering he's her best friend she didn't appreciate how he was being an asshole to the boy he wouldn't shut up about. she was trying her best to comfort eddie, half hugging him.

"you need to go check on him...besides him ignoring you, he didn't even call in to take off work today that's not like him. something is up"

"yeah okay you're right man, i'll go see if he's okay"

he hopped off of the counter and waved bye to robin, still extremely anxious and sad as he got in his van. his mind was running a mile a minute, stressed about every little thing. what if steve changed his mind? it wouldn't be too shocking considering the reputation he would ruin. especially if he was found out to be not only into guys but dating eddie "the freak" munson of all people.

it started to rain when he got to steve's house and eddie really didn't feel like standing outside in it but the things you do when you're in love. he knocked so many times, starting to regret even coming here when it had already been more than ten minutes. just as he was about to walk away he heard the door open, and he stopped dead in his tracks.

steve stood in the doorway with nothing but a towel wrapped around him, and eddie stood outside with his clothes soaked from the rain.

"eddie?....come inside you're going to catch a cold or something" he looked concerned but eddie couldn't help but laugh, walking inside as he said "geez babe, you sound like my uncle"

"ew! don't compare me to him, that's just weird"

the two of them laughed but eventually they both knew they were going to have to seriously talk about this.

"i'm going to go get dressed um...you can borrow some of my clothes, since that can't be comfortable"

eddie only nodded as he watched steve disappear into his bedroom. he still couldn't figure out what was wrong, steve had seemed almost relieved to see him which was a little shocking considering he had been avoiding him all day. when steve came back he handed eddie a worn out hoodie and a pair of sweatpants, and eddie just mumbled thank you as he went into the bathroom to change.

he left his wet clothes to dry on the side of the bathtub though he didn't want anyone to find them there he assumed steve's parents weren't going to be home any time soon.

"eddie? you okay in there?" steve yelled from the living room, sounding way more concerned than ever until eddie walked back out of the bathroom.

"im fine steve, but can you please tell me why you've been ignoring me?"

"it's...complicated?"

he sat down on the couch patting the space ne t to him to show he wanted eddie to sit there. he did, but he still looked a little tense and upset.

"im just scared, the last time i ever felt this way about anyone was when i was with nance and you know how that ended"

eddie nodded, even before the two had officially met he heard about the bad breakup between hawkins high royalty. but he didn't understand what that had to do with him until now.

"steve....im not going to hurt you, you know that right? we've been through hell and back together basically"

"yeah and you ignored me for over a year after that"

he grabbed steve's had softly, turning to face him better so he could see that he was being genuine.

"i've seen you at your worst, and i've seen you at your best and i came back didn't i? i wouldn't have done that for anyone else, im not an expert when it comes to love but i know that this is it"

he practically melted at eddie's words and couldn't come up with a response good enough for that so he kissed him. softly and full of all the love he had for the metalhead, they weren't exactly a perfect match but steve wouldn't have it any other way.

"what are you a softie now munson?"

"you know it baby, all for you"

it stormed outside so bad eddie knew he wouldn't make it home but he didn't mind. he was wrapped up in steve's arms under a blanket he had grabbed to put over both of them. the two of them held each other all night as they watched a movie that steve said he had been wanting to see for a while. they were content just like this, steve thought the two of them against the world sounded pretty good right now.

/steve has abandonment issues me too steve, i wrote this because i was feeling anxious and lonely😐