Baby, Tell Me One More Beautiful Lie

'Mirror mirror on the wall, why did I lie to them all?'

Amelia Jones stared at her own reflection in a mirror, unable to believe what she had just done. Her eyes were bloodshot, her eyeliner running from her tears, her hands shook as they felt the utter gravity of what she had just done...

And then she had coaxed herself, convinced herself that it would all be okay. She hadn't done anything wrong.

Nothing wrong at all.

Javi had already been dead. What she held was a small memento. That was all.

...

"You just..." Amelia had absolutely no idea how to tell him. She didn't want to hurt him, she loved him. And she knew that no matter what she said, he'd be hurt.

"You just died..." she didn't know what to say, how to tell him. It had been gruesome, to say the least, even thinking about it pained her. It reminded her of the hours she had spent, in the same room, shocked beyond repair, sitting in a corner alone, as Ollie and Solon tried to comfort Izzy, taking her away from Javi's corpse, asking Amelia to stay there, to keep a watch on Javi, as if by some miracle, her presence would heal him.

Of course, none of that actually happened, she was just left with the image of a dead body laid in white, on the floor in front of her, unable to look at him, or look away. She remembered shaking, crying, shivering, her mind feeling numb, everything feeling wrong. Hours and hours later, when she felt all cried out, when she wanted to stop thinking about Javi, leave regrets, gather herself a bit more, and on Ollie's insistence, take Izzy— and Javi— home. But the words, the thoughts, the actions, everything kept swimming in her mind, she maintained a straight face, when she went home, splashed water on her face, and without saying a word to any question her Pop Pop asked her, and headed to work. She couldn't even fathom what had happened, her head felt heavy, she felt sick, she didn't even want to work. Jane handed her an assignment, in her usual cheery voice, and Amelia didn't even say a word, just accepted the assignment. She didn't even ask why Javi wasn't there.

All the sensitivity, and the way everything else just seemed so... normal... made her mind hurt in ways it never had. She almost felt her own brain crash, she shivered, and laid her head down, once again trying to push all the emotions out, shaking, trying to contain herself...

A sudden urge to see Javi's face had led her to open her phone, when she had first seen his ghost.

And how was she going to tell Javi about any of this?

"What's... what's that supposed to mean?" He gave a hearty laugh, "A sport beast attacked us, that's the last thing I remember." He told her, "what happened then?"

What the hell did he expect her to tell him?!

"You..." she started again, not sure how to continue, "it was a Fire Breathing sporix..." okay, that was a start.

"And then what? Did it burn me or something?"

"It... did." Okay, that was pretty much the gist of it all.

Javi stared at her blankly, they had started to walk towards the DinoHenge now.

"I got burnt?" He asked, looking aghast, and obviously he would be, "so I'm... I'm really dead?"

"I... guess? I mean..." she didn't know what to say to that, was he actually still in denial? To be fair, anyone would be confused, even Amelia didn't know exactly WHY everything that was happening, was happening. BUT this was her chance to investigate a ghost, interview one. Her dream of a lifetime. And it was the boy she loved, sorta, so it would be a bit easier, no?