final seconds

"All these thoughts are driving me insane."

"So, where is the patient?" "He's tumbled, not unconscious but a low blood pressure. He's got cancer, final stage." "Uh, is that the only patient here today?", I ask slowly not knowing what our next step would be. Where the hell is John B? "Would you rather pick up two today?", the woman laughs. "We would if we had to. That's what she meant. I just thought we were called for a patient suffering from a appendicitis." 

"That's our only patient", the woman explains slightly skeptical now. "Well, then we'll take care of one patient, Sam", I decide looking at him seriously to tell him that we need to go now. "Where do you work again?" "Derk County, ma'am." "I've been there before, never seen you." "I'm new but I improved myself quickly. I would like to talk more but we have to get going. Our patient needs to get to hospital."

 As JJ is opening the back of the van, the patient suddenly speaks up making my heart stop for a moment. "JJ, is that you?" "Hallucinations", JJ mumbles and I see his hand is shaking because he can't open the back of the van so I take the key and open the door. "Learning by doing", I add, "Let's get him in." "And where's your partner?" "I've told you, the spring rolls." "Who is helping the patient while you are driving?"

"I was told, the officer could drive." "No, he's a occupant, I have to be at the back with him." "Wait, officer. Are you trying to tell me that you take the responsibility when I cannot take care of the patient? Look at him. He's weak. We have to do our medical stuff on him. I have to show our trainee what we do so we have to be in the back." "This never happened." And suddenly the telephone rings and JJ and I know exactly what this means. We have to get away from here so we quickly get in the van before we can be held back there already.

We've been sitting in the back of the van for a few minutes when we hear the police getting closer. They must know what's going on. I look at the ring that JJ gave me earlier and turn to him as if he would have a plan what to do. I know he's been messaging Kie so she can help us so I pray that she would read his message. She hasn't answered yet. 

"Fuck", JJ mumbles and hits his head against the wall of the van. He doesn't believe that we get out of here. "J, we're going to make it. We have to", I whisper letting my head rest in hands and shaking it nervously. "Fuck", JJ raises his voice ignoring what I've just said, "Plumb was right, I'm supposed to end up jail anyways." What's got Plumb to do with this now? 

"J, no. Listen to me", I snap at him and turn him around so he would finally look at me, "You're not going to end up in jail. If we don't get out, I'll tell them that it was my idea. You were just helping me out." "Hell, no. You're not going to take the responsibility for this", JJ whispers shaking his head vehemently and I can see the fear in this eyes. Fear of getting caught.. fear of losing me. 

"It's the best way. My parents can get me out anywhere if they want to. It's easier for you. You've promised me something and I promise you to always have your back. I can't move to Yucatán without you." "Iz, they.. we-" There it is, our signal. The van has to stop. This must be Kie. JJ takes my hand and opens the door of the van so we can jump out of it and run away to where Kie would pick us up.

'

"Seriously? I won't even ask", Kie complains as soon as we get in." "Yeah well, we've freed the wrong patient from jail. Sue us", JJ shrugs frustrated and I sigh. He didn't need to tell her about how stupid the plan is." "What?" "We've tried it at least", I defend us before they even have the chance to blame us. "Why are doing such stupid stuff all the time and why the hell would you help him, Iz?", Kie raises her voice and I look into Pope's worried face. 

"I'm surprised you'd do this together", he adds seriously and I feel bad. Pope thought I'd be a good influence for JJ and rather keep him away from such plans than to help him. "In the end, I'll be in jail anyways so it'll make no difference", JJ shrugs again and then I realize what's been going on. "Wait, that's what this is about?", I snap at him angrily, "You let us risk our lives because Plumb's stupid opinion?" "No, Iz, it's not like that." "Oh, what's it like then?" 

"I wouldn't risk my life if it wasn't important as for John B." "Yeah? So what about risking my life for John B? Was Plumb really worth it?", I argue feeling disappointed about the difference from how he was talking to me earlier to what he's saying now. "You're getting it all wrong", JJ attacks me back and I look at him as if I couldn't believe what he just said. "Oh, JJ. Never tell a girl, not Iz, that she's getting it wrong", Pope sighs and I'm glad that he at least understands me. I decide to just be quiet. JJ and I would have to talk about this alone.

As soon as we're back at the chateau, I go to John B's room and lay down on his bed playing with the ring on my finger that JJ gave me earlier. I'm about to take it off when I hear him closer to me. "Please don't, Iz." I stopped playing around with it and let it rest around my ring finger sighing. Kie's warned me. I knew that being with JJ would definitely not be boring. "When are you going to talk to me again?" "I am talking to you, J." "Yeah, I can see that", he huffs watching me. 

"I don't know what you want me to say, okay? We've talked about it yesterday, I thought you'd believed me when I said that you're better than your dad." "I did. I believe you, Iz. Maybe you haven't realized it but ever since we started dating, I was only trying my best to be better than my dad and better than everyone thinks. I wanted to be good enough for the kook princess." 

He knows how much I hate it when he says that. They might have called me the kook princess but I've been a pogue since the first day that I've arrived here. I grew up with them. So why would I be a kook princess? "Are we back talking about this topic again? That you're allegedly not good enough for me?" 

"No, no. We're not. I just.. What I'm trying to say is.. I'm sorry about my comment earlier, okay? Being with you, this hunt and having you involved in this hunt is driving me insane in some moments. I say stupid things sometimes. But what I've said before we went to jail was all true." I stop worrying as soon as his voice becomes softer and when he looks at me like a puppy. The soft JJ is back. I stand up and go closer to him so I can just lay my arms around his upper body. "I wouldn't have taken the ring off, J. I love you", I mumbles into his neck as I can hear him sighing relieved.