Chapter 7, A Spider Not a Raven

"WHAT?! That's irrational! I've never signed a pact with Claude, nor will I ever." He held his eye in disarray. We stared at each other in silence for 3 minutes, hoping the other was joking. But alas; we were not. "Well.. maybe try calling for him? Demons have to obey their masters... or so I've read." I fiddled with my hands behind my back, clearly anxious but wanted to stay calm in Ciel's eyes as not to cause panic. "You're right... who would I call? It's Claude's pact symbol, so it'd make sense to call him. But it'd also make sense to call Sebastian due to how I originally had made a pact with him..." He sighed, letting his hand fall back to his side. "My guess is Sebastian... but I'm no expert." I exhaled, also letting my arms fall to the side. "Well.." He put his hand over his eye, "This is an order; Sebastian! I call you!" ...silence for a moment. I looked around in confusion, nothing had happened. "Maybe... Claude." I asked, hoping it'd work. "It's absurd but it seems it's the only thing that may work.." He exhaled, "This is an order; Claude! Return!" silence, but it was quickly interrupted by something falling from the sky. We looked up, covering our eyes from the sun. The item -- well -- person had landed with a breeze. We were pushed back a little bit by the wind. And to our astonishment; Sebastian stood right in front of us, a slick smile on his face. 

"Young master?" He bowed to Ciel, "Not funny; Sebastian! Do not do that ever again." He was rightfully angered. "Sebastian? I am sure you have to be confused. You've named me Claude." He looked Ciel in the eyes. Ciel slapped him with force, his smile dropped, "Are you mad?! Insane?! Delusional?! You are Sebastian; the demon of ravens. Not some silly spider demon." He crossed his arms as the demon stood up straight. "Master, you are incorrect. I am afraid you are the one mistaken." He smiled again, lending out his hand as if to ask for a dance. But instead; a small spider crawled out of his sleeve and it slowly lowered itself off of his hand using it's silk. Ciel was grossed out by this notion, but also very confused. Why did Sebastian have a spider up his sleeve? And why did Sebastian claim he was Claude? "I cannot... what?" He was practically speechless. I decided to chime in, leaning into Sebastian's ear. "Are you bantering? If so; you're really hurting Ciel and I's head.","Ah, fret not, Silversfield." he whispered back, "I would never joke around without my Masters approval. Especially if he objects. I'd do nothing my master disapproves of, unless he's in danger." He straightened his posture again, but I wasn't done. I tugged his arm back to my height, bringing his face to mine. 

"And how are we to trust you actually are Claude?" He replied by removing his left glove and revealing Claude's symbol on the back of his hand. "Appeased?" I exhaled, pushing him back up to his normal height. I walked back over to Ciel, "It's true.." Ciel turned to me with his brows furrowed. "Have you gone mad too?!","No, I am on your side too. But I think something is seriously wrong. Something happened in the time he was gone.. and I don't know what." I sighed in frustration. "You think...?","No, that's absurd." I objected his thought, assuming he meant he was brainwashed. "He had the pact symbol on his hand, no amount of brainwashing could change a pact symbol. It hasn't happened in history that I know of." I folded my arms at the insanity. "Well? Shall I take you two to the manor?" Sebastian butted in. "Sure..." I agreed. Sebastian picked us both up and jumped with might. He jumped over all of the rooftops, bouncing as if he weighed nothing but a feather. Ciel and I exchanged a look the whole time, a look that said 'something isn't right'. He landed gracefully in front of the mansion. He placed us down carefully, then rubbed his temples as if he had forgotten something.

"I deeply apologise but half of the mansion will not be accessible for the time being. The guest room has sadly been cut off." He brushed off his shoulder. "Wh.. What?! Where am I supposed to rest.. I am.." I turned to Ciel, exhaling. "Never mind, I'll be renting out a room at a nearby Inn." I turned around and proceeded to walk down the path. But I was stopped by somebody grabbing my arm. "No, I wish for you to stay at the mansion. You promised to not let Alois walk out of this city with my blood on his hands. Remember?" I turned around to him, he let go of my arm; giving me that same look. He snapped out of it quickly. "Seba.. Claude." He sighed, "Prepare a resting area for Alex. And Alex, I wish for you to not spend any more pounds on worthless stays in Inns. You are always open to staying at the Phantomhive manor if you need to do so." Sebastian nodded and I stepped back, he's said that before. I had a sense of deja vu, but from when? "Thank you, Ciel." I half smiled at him. "But the money is not of worry to me. I have enough to recklessly spend.","You never mentioned you came from wealth. I've never heard of a Hertlair family with a lot of  money." He looked suspicious of me. "Well we do not own anything large like a factory, nothing special. We just have.. some ties." He slowly nodded as if to not believe me. I think he was starting to catch on. 

"Well, let us go inside." He turned around and we both entered the manor. We walked up the stairs and into the hall which lead to the rooms. "Do you know where he set up the resting area?","Hmm.. no, I am unsure." He walked to his room and stopped with an unamused face. I walked behind him and saw two blankets and a pillow set up to look like a bed, right beside Ciel's bed. "...there's so many other rooms." I scoffed. "Claude what is this?" Ciel turned to Sebastian who was making Ciel's bed. "Well, the other rooms are preoccupied. A lot got marked... during that surprise renovation." He smiled and finished up, walking out the room and discreetly pushed us both inwards, closing the door behind him. This, was, awkward. We turned to each other then back to the two beds. "Uhm.. I guess we just... sleep." I awkwardly said, walking toward the makeshift bed on the floor. Ciel nodded, saying nothing and laid on his bed. We both stared at the ceiling in silence. "Alex." Ciel said quietly. "Huh?" I asked, "Do you really mean it.. that you're trying to help me?" He said carefully, I rolled onto my side to face his bed. "Of course.","Then why do I feel like something is wrong? That you're not telling the truth." He flipped onto his side too. "I'm not sure."