Chapter 20 - Logan's Dragon

Fire burned through Remus' veins, his whole body consumed in the flames. It was hot, it was devastating, and yet he knew it was exactly where he needed to be. The fire inside of him burned brighter and hotter than anything that could ever exist outside of him.

Suddenly, he took in a deep breath, cold air filling his lungs. He exhaled and cold turned hot.

"Remus, Remus, open your eyes, please."

He could hear someone begging, calling his name, desperate for him to wake up and answer them. Of course, he would answer the call, there was nothing else he could do. Slowly, Remus opened his eyes, looking into what had to be pools of stars, grey, white, and blue, all at the same time. "Gorgeous," he muttered as the figure let out a sigh of relief, moisture falling from his face and landing on Remus'. He reached up to comfort the star filled eyes only to have his hand swatted away.

"You absolute dumbass, don't you ever do that to me again," He said. Logan, said. Remus remembered, this was Logan. This was his boyfriend. He reached up again, hooking his arm around Logan's neck and pulling him down. They kissed, it was warm and inviting, and it made the fire in Remus burn brighter. Logan seemed to melt into it, pulling Remus close as if it might stop him from getting hurt.

"Re, I'm glad you're alive, but I would prefer not to see my brother making out with someone," called another voice beside them, and Remus looked over to it. Roman, his brother, his eyes lit up, and Roman's face was filled with concern, but Remus didn't mind. He got up, throwing himself at Roman.

"We found it bro, we found it!" Remus knew, he just knew deep down in his soul that this was what they had been looking for.

"How do you know? Other than that thing giving you a concussion and making your eyes look different, how do you know it's what you're looking for?"

Remus blew out a pillar of fire, letting the flames from inside of him come out into the world. "Oh, I know," he said, cackling as Roman stared at him in a mix of horror and surprise. "You.. you're... Remus you..."

"I'm a dragon, I know, it's it cool?" He asked throwing his hands in the air, heat turning into excitement. He wanted to dance, he wanted to fly. He settled for turning around and looking at his boyfriend. "Logan isn't this awesome?! We can bring that gem back to Janus, show him that he isn't alone and that he can make more dragons!"

Logan walked over to Remus slowly, putting his hand on his boyfriend's face. "How do you feel?" The heavy concern and care in Logan's voice was obvious, his thumb gently stroking Remus' cheek, searching for something he was thankful wasn't there.

"Don't worry nerd, I feel perfectly fine," He whispered. "I'm still me, just with a little more firepower." Remus giggled at that and Logan pulled him into another hug.

"If I wasn't so relieved that you are okay, I would have already smacked you by now." They both knew it was an idle threat as Logan would never hurt Remus, but the way his arms shook spoke volumes.

"I'm here Lo, I'm here." Remus whispered, pulling his boyfriend closer. "I promise I'm not going to leave you behind." Remus buried his face in Logan's neck, holding him close and protectively, he could understand why his father hoarded humans, especially putting that mark on them. If he could keep Logan safe for the rest of his life, he would do so without question.

Looking up he could see Roman watching the two of them, completely dumbfounded. It would have been funny if Remus didn't feel the guilt pooling in his stomach. Both of the people he had brought on this journey, two of the people who cared for him, were staring at him as if they had almost lost him as if he had almost died. He couldn't imagine what that whole situation must have looked like from the outside.