65. The Home Straight

Zacznij od początku

The house itself was built on wooden stilts, rising up above the beach; with a couple of rooms built into what had once been a natural cave in the low cliffs. It was small compared to some of the others here, but it was a place of luxury for us; and I knew just how lucky we were that Mum and Dad had been able to invest in such a perfect vacation home ten years ago.

This time, the slow transition from small-town street to ruts in the sand didn't bring quite the same sense of nervous anticipation that it usually did. Instead of looking forward to getting there, I was thinking about the stress on my bladder, and feeling every little jolt as the road became less even. Finally, I gave a sigh of relief when I saw the timbers of the deck rising beside us, and the sharp incline as we drove up onto the ramps that would keep the car above high-tide. I quickly reached for my seatbelt, eager to get inside. But a glance from Mum was all I needed to remind me of my place. I was the baby, I needed to wait for her to unbuckle me, no matter how desperate I was now.

Of course, in the circumstances they decided to unpack a lot of our gear first, leaving me squirming there in silence. But I didn't argue; this was my punishment, and in a strange way it even felt right for the baby to wait until all the important things were done. I watched them come in and out, waving or pulling faces at me as they passed but not trying to talk. I still had my phone close at hand, so I tried to keep myself occupied with games for a while. But even Bubble Hunt Magnate couldn't hold my attention for more than a few minutes, and I found myself thinking instead about how it felt to be sitting in the car in a wet diaper. I could still feel the weight between my legs, and if I leaned forwards a little all that bulk was pressing against me. It had been so embarrassing, knowing that anybody could see me if they just looked. But it had felt good in ways I couldn't even explain. Even the mass of the wet diaper, squishing between my legs every time I moved... I tried paying more attention to the sensation, and I couldn't find a reason to hate it. I knew that I should, but it was too pleasant to disagree with.

It didn't take too long; they were just moving the cases in from the car, not actually unpacking yet. And before long Mum was there beside me, unbuckling my seatbelt and helping me to stand up. I didn't need the support, but it made me feel littler when she acted as if I did. She must have known that I would appreciate it; this was less humiliating and more like the things I'd told her I felt good about in the past. So even when I was being punished, she wasn't just trying to make me feel bad.

"Mum?" I said as she helped me to stand. I knew as I said it that it was a bad choice, but I had to know. "Why are you being so nice to me? I told you that I–"

"I know honey," she quickly shut me up by putting a pacifier back into my mouth. "You confessed to doing something mean, so now you get treated like a baby. I think that seems fair."

"But I..." I tried to collect my thoughts, as well as doing my best to shape words without spitting the pacifier out. "You're doing things that are like... comforting. Do you think Lindy made me? Like it shouldn't be a real punishment? Because I told the truth, this was–"

"I believe you, sweetie. And that's kind of the point. Punishment reminds you of what you did. It doesn't have to upset you. And when you're such a sweet little baby, I don't want to give you bad memories. I just want you to learn why you should be more careful, by taking your choices away. You know you'd never accept this normally, don't you? So that makes it a punishment. And because you were honest with me, because you accept your punishment, I know that I can trust you to tell me when you've really had more than you're comfortable with. The important thing to me is that you are learning. So when you confess and accept the consequences, there's no need for a punishment that actually hurts you. A little embarrassment is all you need."

"I don't think she's embarrassed," Lindy's voice cut in, and I jumped a little. I hadn't even realised she was there, and I wondered how much she had heard of that. "I think she's such a silly little baby, she doesn't care about how embarrassing it is for us leading her around and changing her diapers."

I couldn't stop blushing then, but I wouldn't have stopped it. She could have her revenge; she deserved a chance to get back at me after all I'd put her through this year. And maybe, just a little, this was what I'd been hoping for. To be mocked and treated like a baby, my family talking down to me. And I'd got here without having to admit to my sister the epic strangeness that I actually wanted to be bullied.

I tried to hide my face in my hands, as if that would conceal the blushes on my face. But all the movement did was remind me just how badly I needed to pee. The slightest change in posture brough the pressure in my bladder back into focus.

"Umm..." I mumbled, and decided it made sense to play up my enforced-baby role just a little. "Can I go potty now? I really need to go."

"Oh, does baby need her diaper changing?" Mum asked, making me blush even more. She reached down and checked my diaper, and then tutted. "I don't think so. I think little Sally forgot what a baby she is. I said you'd be a complete baby for the rest of the day, didn't I? So why don't you use your diaper? That's what it's meant for, after all."

I glanced down at the diaper. It was already a little wet, from when she'd put me to sleep before. Was Mum really suggesting that I just wet myself? I couldn't even imagine doing that; it would be so humiliating. But that that was the point of this punishment, wasn't it? It needed to push beyond my comfort zone or I'd have no incentive to learn. Even if Mum was trying not to hurt me, she wanted to make it clear that this wasn't going to be just fun for me. Still, I didn't know if I could go through with that.

"It's okay," she said, a few seconds later. "If you're too shy, we can always help you. You can take a little nap while we unbox the takeaway if you prefer. Your choice, you can do it yourself or you can ask for help. Either way you're a good baby. Okay?"

I thought about it for a long second, and I knew this wasn't too much. It was weird, but then most of the summer had been a little weird. I could go into the bathroom for a little privacy, wet my diaper, and then come out to be changed. That was probably something I could cope with, a punishment that wouldn't really hurt me.

"I'll just–" I raised my free hand and pointed to the house. But the words didn't last long before I heard those wind chimes again, and I felt myself going weak at the knees as the warmth spread through my diaper. The only thing I had time to notice as I struggled to keep my eyes open was that this time, Mum looked even more surprised than I felt.