chapter twelve: caught

I woke up that morning to children's joyous voices coming from across the street. It sounded like they were playing in some water sprinklers or a kiddie pool. I yawned, allowing my eyes to flutter open slowly. I almost forgot we were on vacation.

You know that moment when you wake up in a new setting and suddenly your mind can't register where you are? I had that moment and began to panic a little until I rolled over in bed and saw Dream sleeping peacefully beside me.

I tucked my hands underneath my pillow, resisting the urge to run my fingers through his hair because it looked so fluffy and soft. His chest was rising slowly up and down as he slept- I noticed he was breathing really deeply.

I wonder if he was dreaming about something. What if he was dreaming about me?

I scooched closer to him, just now realizing how much distance we had unknowingly created between each other naturally in our sleep.

I had learned a lot about Dream in just one night sleeping next to him. First, he was the type of person who would cuddle forever, but then needed to sleep separately to be able to get decent sleep. That's fine by me, because I'm the same way. Second, he puts off an insane amount of body heat. This vacation house is very cold, with AC units blasting in every room, yet Dream still slept most of the night with the sheets off him. And third, but definitely most important, he snores- loudly. I had experienced his snoring before on voice calls that he fell asleep on, but it's not the same as in person.

I smiled softly at him. Hopefully he wakes up soon, cuz it's almost 11 am and I'm somehow already bored and miss talking to him.

I laid there right next to Dream just waiting for him to wake up until I heard a knock at the bedroom door.

Did I lock the door last night? I think I did...did I?

The knock came once again a few seconds later, a little louder than last time. I didn't want to get up and answer it, because that would obviously wake Dream. But I also didn't wanna say 'Give me a second' or 'I'll be out one minute' because not only does that sound so suspicious in this context, it would also wake Dream up. 

So instead I stayed motionless and quiet, as I watched Sapnap open the bedroom door up slowly.

Sap caught my gaze first, then his eyes almost instantly traveled to Dream's still sleeping body. Sapnap narrowed his eyes at me, shook his head and scoffed, then left the door wide open while walking away.

I got up quickly, not realizing how much movement I had made until Dream started to toss around in bed.

Dream opened his eyes up, squinting at me.

"Where you going?" He asked, in a groggy voice.

"I'm gonna, um...walk to that coffee shop that we saw yesterday. Get some, uh...donuts, for breakfast." I whisper-replied back.

"Give me a second to get dressed, I'll go with you." Dream said, rubbing his eyes and starting to sit up in bed.