29. Living Through It Was Just a Luxury

(The Last Fight)

"Okay, so... Does everyone know what you're gonna be doing when the time comes?" Dysnomi asked the next day.

Calliope looked around at the group of people who were surrounding her, taking in their serious faces as they nodded to show that they understood. Gods, I love these people, she thought as she tried her best not to cry.

"Are you okay, Calli?" Asmodeus asked, laying a comforting hand against Calliope's lower back.

Calliope nodded, then gratefully accepted a drink from Zephyr–the Siren's Lament. He had noticed how nervous she looked, and made her the drink in an attempt to help her calm her nerves.

"Hey..." Zephyr said softly. "It's gonna be alright, cher."

Calliope nodded again before picking up her drink and pressing it against her lips. She drank deeply and desperately. Her hand shook as it held the glass, and she finished the entire drink quickly. She felt like it was the only thing that was keeping her from going insane. She breathed in a long, shaky breath as she placed the glass on top of the bar once again. "Dys?" she asked then, looking down the bar at Dysnomi.

"Yeah, Calli?" Dysnomi asked, leaning forward so he could see Calliope from across the bar.

"So, whenever Raiden shows up... No matter how off-guard he catches us... We'll be okay... Right?" Calliope questioned nervously, her voice trembling.

"Yeah, of course we will be, Calli," Dysnomi responded. "Don't worry. The moment your brother appears, I'll use my magic to hide you—along with Xena and Zorya, if necessary—before I conjure a realistic projection of you. That should buy you enough time to sneak around and do what you need to do."

"You really think it's gonna work?" Nagaveni whispered to Dysnomi from her seat next to him. Calliope noticed that she sounded as nervous as Calliope felt.

Come on, Asmodeus whispered in Calliope's mind as he looked at her intently. Let's go get some air. It might help you calm your nerves.

Are you sure that's a good idea, 'Deus? Calliope responded using her telepathy. What if Raiden finds us? We'd be by ourselves, with no contingency plan.

Calli... Asmodeus responded sadly. You know I wouldn't let anyone hurt you, right? I'd do everything—and I do mean everything—within my power to keep Raiden away from you... Para mantenerte a salvo.

Calliope nodded. I know, 'Deus, she thought. She meant it; she did know that Asmodeus would do everything in his power to keep her safe. She just worried that it wouldn't be enough anymore.

Asmodeus held his hand out to Calliope as he whispered, "Do you trust me?" She nodded. "Come on, then," he said, giving her a small smile.

Calliope took Asmodeus' hand and allowed him to lead her through the front door of the Tipsy Piano and into the streets of New Orleans. The once overwhelming sights, smells, and sounds of the city comforted her then. It all comforted her so much, in fact, that she soon found herself beginning to relax despite everything that was happening in her life. "Thank you for this," she said. "I didn't even realize how badly I needed this."

"That's what I'm here for, mi amor," Asmodeus responded. "I'd do anything for you, Calli."

Calliope held Asmodeus' hand tightly as they walked the streets with no specific destination in mind. At least, no specific destination that she knew of.

Asmodeus, however, had other plans. "Let's go in here," he said, pointing to a tiny shop that was advertising voodoo.

"What? Why?" Calliope asked, laughing nervously.